Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues

1. 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Beginner
    Hi
    I posted all the below on another post but all the info in it is current so have started my own post, as it appears after further reading there is still plenty of cases of this issue not being fixed correctly OR being fixed then being broken again .

Also on this TV when setting the home button icons up as I like them, why does it reorder them again. I deleted all the apps like netflix from my home button as I dont use them and have added a couple of more usefull buttons linking to picture settings and settings with the only apps left being a browser and youtube, but it still shifts them all around.

Thanks
    Steve

Hi I have the same problem on a different TV (two of them actually ) 49V5863DBT TV.

It is not happening on any apps as not registered on any of the services like Netflix or you tube etc..

Mine and my sons TV do it while connected to our computers, which are on HDMI input source 1, set as enhanced.

So far as we can tell it only does it while watching Youtube videos whether "live" or downloaded and watching later through a player (PotPlayer X64).

The symptoms are identical to "AngryYorkie" above, with the addition (I would guess there's probably does the same) of on the black screen it shows the "Dolby Vision" symbol, and the only way to get a picture back is like "AngryYorkie" says of changing the source and then back again, but ALSO going to the picture settings and changing to a different mode, i.e.. from sports to cinema, or natural to something else etc.... ALTHOUGH my son inst always so lucky and has to totally turn his computer off and back on to be able to get his picture back from the computer, which if your half way through a good scoring game etc, even I can understand how annoying it would be for him .

I've read on the forum there was a problem of a similar nature where people were having trouble with "Dolby Vision" on the Netflix app, I've also read there was an update issued in October that seems to have sorted that problem out.

Mine and my sons TV were bought in December but I understand that doesn't mean it would have the October update.

You (as in Jacob Murphy) advised "AngryYorkie" to do a "First time Install", both mine and my sons had this done when we first turned the TVs on as it makes you do so.

We have also done manual updates over wifi and aerial and are running update V.4.35.8.1 which was built on 2018-10-05 at 08:10:12 with the application version of V.4.18.0.6.

This isn't such a big problem for myself as use the TV to watch TV, but my son is getting infuriated with his, as his main use is through the computer and watching videos and vlogs etc.. while doing other things on the computer, mainly games but he doesn't report any problems with the games giving him issues.

IF there is no quick fix for this PLEASE could you supply at least myself and son a firmware update (downloadable onto a stick or something with instructions how to update) that would allow us to totally turn off "Dolby Vision" for the time being as this is ruining what is otherwise a good viewing experience.

Many Thanks in advance

Steve

2. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Beginner
    Oh forgot to say we have tried different HDMI inputs as well with no effect.

Steve

3. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Hi, Can you provide the serial number and I will see what I can find out.

4. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Beginner
    Hi Jacob

Thanks for the reply.

ONE of the TVs Serial Nos is 8067468 800343, and as I have said they are both the exact same telly bought from the same place (Tescos) on the same date (Saturday after Black Friday), so hopefully any resolution that works on one should work on the other .

(BOTH TVs have been updated to the firmware quoted in my above post).

Thanks
    Steve

5. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    HI Steve, are you able to provide a image or video of the fault?

6. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Beginner
    Hi Jacob
    Its not as easy to get a picture as you might think it should be lol.
    I asked my son to get a picture of it when he first told me about it (before mine had done it), but it happens to quickly to get a picture. I will ask my son to have another go but I doubt he'll have any more luck this time than before.

BUT basically its not hard to describe what happens.
    You are watching a picture on the screen (a picture as in a video), then the screen goes black and then in the bottom right of the screen the "Dolby Vision" logo appears in white for a few seconds then goes out leaving you with just a black screen, with the audio from the video still playing. Then leaving you the pain of getting a picture back which I tried to explain earlier, but in a worst case scenario it means turning off the computer and losing data/scores etc in whatever you are doing as you cant see a screen to save stuff, you just have to hit the power key and shut it down and restart it which gets the picture back.

Thanks
    Steve

7. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Hi, in this case it seems like you'd need a software update so I'd advise speaking to the team on 0333 733 4422 and explaining the issue and they should be able to help

8. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    They can't answer to me from 2 weeks about that same issue and few more, when i show a Photo with issues😀

9. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Murphy View Post
    Hi, in this case it seems like you'd need a software update so I'd advise speaking to the team on 0333 733 4422 and explaining the issue and they should be able to help
    Hi Jacob
    I done what you said and "The Team" lol, sent me "new" firmware on a memory stick. Well I say new it is actually an older firmware, and is lacking a few features and nicety's of the current firmware.
    BUT it appears to stop the Dolby Vision black screen issue

SO I am happy as far as that goes, but now I don't know if / when there is a fix for the version I had that would give m a better newer firmware (and a nicer TV in effect) . I don't want my TV to go looing for updates as ANYTING is an update to the firmware I now have. So I don't want o have to update only to find out my original problem isn't fixed and have to downgrade my firmware again.

Thanks
    Steve
    Basically any way of finding out what is actually in firmware upgrades before applying them please ?

10. Re: 49v5863dbt same dolby vision issues
    Hi, could you please confirm the following information and we will look into this:

Model No:
    Serial No:
    Software version on TV:
    What is now missing from the TV?