Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself

1. 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Beginner
    I have a problem with my 40L2863DB smart TV less than 12 months old. It switches itself off then back on without any command from the remote. Sometimes happens when I switch to a catch-up service like BBC iplayer but this morning it did it all by itself - I was watching BBC1 which was coming from my Humax pvr2000T via the HDMI input. Other items connected to the tv are a Philips dvd player/recorder via composite input and sound L/R and a 2.1 speaker system via the audio out jack.

Any ideas?

2. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Hello Tellyman,

I would suggest performing a first time installation to see if that resolves the issue.

Press Home
    Choose Settings
    Choose Installation Choose YES
    TV will turn off and back on
    Follow on-screen instructions

3. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Beginner
    It seems very strange that I should have to repeat the process that I went through when I first set it up. I'll try it but I don't expect any positive result and if it won't sort it I'm taking it back to the seller as faulty.

4. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Beginner
    An update - first time installation (second time actually) was performed and I really enjoyed having to reset all the catch-up TV passwords; thanks Toshiba. So far so good but I'll monitor over the next few weeks and feedback again.

Another query - with my Humax powered on, why does the TV come back on when I turn it off using the remote control? At the moment the only way I can get it to stay off is to cut the power using my remote controlled mains socket.

5. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Hello tellyman,

This is more than likely an issue with the infrared signal and that they might be sharing the signal. This would explain why the TV set is experiencing this issue.

6. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Beginner
    Apologies, but I don't follow you there. The Toshiba remote has no effect on the Humax but when I try to switch the TV to standby using its remote, the LED on the TV starts to flash and the picture disappears but then it comes back on again - it won't go into standby. I have to cut the power completely to switch it off. I'm not using the Humax remote at all.

7. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Could be a software issue possibly, I'd advising calling the team on 0333 733 4422

8. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Beginner
    Thanks for your time. It's still doing the off/on thing, last night when I switched from live TV coming through the Humax/hdmi to BBC iPlayer on the Toshiba's catch-up service. Also still won't stay in standby, comes back on again with no inputs except the WiFi and terrestrial aerial. I'll contact them by phone as you suggest. Beginning to wish I'd bought a Samsung!

9. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    HI Tellyman, have you disabled CEC in the settings on the TV? System>Settings>More>CEC and see if this works?

10. Re: 40L2863DB switches off/on by itself
    Beginner
    Yes, I did that early on; it's a pain when things come on when you don't want them to. I had a good read of the manual when I started this thread so I would know what people were talking about. I'm an electrical/electronic engineer (retired) and well used to complex equipment; I build my own PCs and repair things like Humax pvrs and Hi-Fi separates.
    Last edited by Tellyman; 07.12.2018 at 19:34. Reason: typo on smart phone