Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.

1. New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Beginner
    I have upgraded my NB250-107 laptop memory from 1GB to 2GB.

When I turn the laptop on, all I get is a black screen, and nothing happens.

Is there something I need to do first to tell the laptop that it has now 2gb of Ram?

Thanks.

2. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Enthusiast
    You may have possibly fixed this issue by now, but just in case you haven't...

If you have removed the 1GB module and replaced it with one 2GB module it should be fitted into the same slot as the 1GB was in.

If you have added another 1GB into the second slot, then they should be in matched pairs. Providing that the main information on the sticker/label is the same, there shouldn't be any issues with black screens.

Although RAM modules are quite sturdy, long lasting items, if you bought your 2GB module second-hand (used) it might be defective. You can use MemTest or MemTest+ (Memtest plus) to check the module for errors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAM_Module.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	828

3. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Beginner
    Good Evening Alexei Sayle,

Thank you for your reply, and help.

No I have not managed to work out why the laptop is not accepting the upgraded memory.

The laptop has only one slot, and Toshiba advises that model 107 can be upgrade to 2GB with these specs, DDR3 RAM (1,066 MHz). I have bought in total four replacement memory chips, new and second hand, but none has worked.

My latest memory chip I bought is the Samsung M471B5673FH0-CF8 2GB 2Rx8 1.5V 204-Pin SODIMM PC3-8500S-07-10-F2 1066MHz DDR3.
    This memory chip is exactly the same brand and make as the existing memory, except that its 2GB.

I am still getting the same issue. The laptop does not boot up at all.

I have given up. It is just too time consuming buying memory, finding it does not work, and then having to send it back for a refund. I’ve had to do this four times already.

Thanks.

4. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Enthusiast
    I'm guessing that it still boots up okay with the original RAM in place?

Can you tell me your serial number and full model number that is printed on the base of the laptop, please. I can then check the spec' on Toshiba's site.

5. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Beginner
    Hi Alexei Sayle,

Yes that’s right.

Serial number 9A223312K
    Part number PLL2PE-00200WEN
    Toshiba NB250-107

ATOM N455

Windows 7 Starter

Thanks.

6. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Enthusiast
    Thanks for that info'.

Well, now I'm as baffled and frustrated as you must be.

After checking the details here: http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinue...iba-nb250-107/

It does say "maximum expandability : 2,048 MB" (DDR3), but I just had to see it with my own eyes to be sure.

I have found a forum link to a similar problem with one of the NB250 laptops, it's not identical to your model, but someone mentioned that a BIOS update might be needed. When I checked the drivers section, I found that the latest BIOS available is 1.90-WIN (01-08-2012). It would be wise to check that this is/isn't installed, just in case it cures your problem.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread....-upgrade-Issue

But, apart from all that, I have to admit defeat and hope that someone else can help you.

Best regards,
    Alexei.

7. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Enthusiast
    I've been looking at the user manual for your model...

It implies that the 2GB RAM is somehow different from the regular over-the-counter ram: ...validated by Toshiba.

8. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Beginner
    Thanks for your support.

Iíve read the link, thank you.

It is the exact problem I am suffering, the netbook is started it switches on, then switches off, then switches on, then switches off - this cycle continues.

Unfortunately there was no solution to the problem.

I am totally confused.

I have updated the bios, but that did nothing.

I am going to take it to PC World, and see what they say, or what they can do.

Merry Xmas, and have a pleasant New Year.

Many Thanks.

9. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Beginner
    With regards to http://imgbox.com/7VB5qEiX
    It would seem Toshiba has to verify the upgraded memory, to ensure compatibility.

There are hundreds of memory chips on the market, which one is the correct one? If I have already bought the exact make of memory chip, compared to the one already installed, and it does not work, then obviously, there is a more specific 2GB memory chip that needs to be installed, which has not been disclosed by Toshiba.

Very frustrating.

Your investigation and links have cleared up why it does not work. It is obviously a compatibility issue.

Thank you for your hard work. You have solved the issue. I don't feel defeated anymore, just frustrated with the hardware.

10. Re: New memory causes NB250 laptop to not boot.
    Enthusiast
    It's a real shame that an official from Toshiba will not comment or help with the problems that we users/customers will have from time to time. As this is a user-to-user forum, we are left to try and fix things ourselves.

Such a shame