Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten

1. Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    I have taken the risk and bought the Toshiba 55" OLED, it works pretty well, still tinkering with settings and getting used to it.

However I have found that built in Netflix app does have content in dolby vision available it does not actually work. Sound works but there is no picture just green lines near the top of the screen - not good for a TV marketed as Dolby Vision out of the box.

All other types of netflix content works - 4K, HD etc

Also built into the TV and having a dedicated button on the remote is Rakuten - I decided to give it a try, it let me sign up and watch trailers etc unfortunately then when I rented a movie it would not play.

Speaking to Rakuten they say that their app is not compatible with Toshiba TV's - very odd as it appears to be so integrated with the TV.

It is also worth noting that whilst Amazon Alexa is available on the TV, Amazon Prime is not available - seems very odd

Anyone else having Dolby vision issues

2. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Hi there, have you tried a first time installation of the TV? it can be found in the installation section of the TV menu.

3. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanderRed View Post
    I have taken the risk and bought the Toshiba 55" OLED, it works pretty well, still tinkering with settings and getting used to it.

However I have found that built in Netflix app does have content in dolby vision available it does not actually work. Sound works but there is no picture just green lines near the top of the screen - not good for a TV marketed as Dolby Vision out of the box.

Also built into the TV and having a dedicated button on the remote is Rakuten - I decided to give it a try, it let me sign up and watch trailers etc unfortunately then when I rented a movie it would not play.

Speaking to Rakuten they say that their app is not compatible with Toshiba TV's - very odd as it appears to be so integrated with the TV.

It is also worth noting that whilst Amazon Alexa is available on the TV, Amazon Prime is not available - seems very odd

Awesome TV you have there. Shame about the glitch. I can only suggest you check out the possibility of an online software update in the sets software version section, although i doubt it will work if you have spoken to Rakuten.

I have a much more poverty spec model, the tv's bwain/software apparently powered by a Briggs and Stratton 5Hp lawn mower engine due to the issues. I will say this though, claiming a product does this and that on the specs/box when it actually wont is a very Chinese thing. I am really surprised a reputable Japanese company seems to be following suite.

I hope you can get it sorted.

4. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    I got that same problem with Dolby Vision after update my TV TOSHIBA U6863db to newest firmware today. Earlier Dolby Vision worked very well. Now i see only subtitles and green lines on the Top. Btw after few days of discovering how to update my TV, because last week i seen a info about new firmware, but im choose do this later, and my TV doesnt seen update anymore. Today i decide use cable, no wifi, and my TV seen update and all process run very well.
    But Dolby Vision in Netflix no working.

5. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Exactly the same for me with Dolby Vision - green lines across the top of the screen

6. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    I have been on to technical support - the OLED models are not even listed in their support system - he had to check online that the sell the model and that I wasn't for some reason lying to him.

Not a clue about Dolby vision or how it works with the Netflix app which was very worrying - I then got cut off which was very annoying

I feel a return coming on and going with my original choice of the AF8

7. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Sure have - still no joy - as mentioned in another post in this thread Technical Support did not even have the OLED models listed and had no clue about Dolby Vision - I will send them a picture of the box soon - with the words DOLBY VISION printed in large letters all over the thing

8. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Runner 350 View Post
    Awesome TV you have there. Shame about the glitch. I can only suggest you check out the possibility of an online software update in the sets software version section, although i doubt it will work if you have spoken to Rakuten.

I have a much more poverty spec model, the tv's bwain/software apparently powered by a Briggs and Stratton 5Hp lawn mower engine due to the issues. I will say this though, claiming a product does this and that on the specs/box when it actually wont is a very Chinese thing. I am really surprised a reputable Japanese company seems to be following suite.

I hope you can get it sorted.
    Hello. Our Toshiba TV's aren't Japanese anymore. They are Turkish giant Vestel, who make BUSH amongst other budget brands.
    Vestel operate with lisence to use the Toshiba brand name. There was input from Toshiba technicians in designing the sets (so I'm told) but the update imperfections, especially with Netflix and other issues reported on this forum- have so far been falling on deaf ears with assurances from the moderator that the issues have been 'escalated'.
    The best we can hope for is an OTA update to fix the common problems because the USB they send also doesn't work.
    If anyone has any information on when we can expect some fixes I'm all ears.

Chris

9. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Beginner
    I say old chap!

Thats a rather bad show. So we actually have shisha tv's thrown together by vestel virgins (how to never ever be assisted by CS ever again).

I will never look at the thing in the same light again..a real kick in the dardanelles if you ask me old bean.

10. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanderRed View Post

Yes I am having the same problem and it is an absolute joke to be honest. I contacted Netflix who said that Toshiba is not a make that is able to use Dolby Vision with Netflix, yet as we know the new smart Toshiba's are DV able. We have been miss-sold products which is clearly a consumer rights issue!

11. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    I have the same problem when attempting to watch Dolby Vision titles on Netflix app, and to be honest it is an absolute joke! We have been miss-sold a product that claims to do something it does not do!

I contacted Netflix who told me that Toshiba TVs are not yet supported for Dolby Vision with them. So why it shows Dolby Vision next to a compatible film/title on Netflix on the Toshiba Netflix app I have no idea! The new TVs from Toshiba (Vestel) are meant to be DV ready but someone forgot to tell Netflix!!

12. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    I have model 65U5863DB and dolby vision does exactly the same for me in Netflix. I'm sure that it was working when I first purchased my TV last month but I can't be 100%.

You can't even change the output from Netflix to the TV and watch in 4k instead of DV

Will there be an update to sort this out? If not then I'm considering returning my TV.

I wonder if I can find a link to their complaint procedure? If not maybe the ombudsman is a likely option.

13. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Still no dolby vision working on the built in netflix app

tv going back very soon - sony af8 here i come

14. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Hi guys,

there is a temporary software issue affecting Dolby Vision content only, and a fix will be issued shortly.

15. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    How long until update is expected, We bought this TV 2 weeks ago and it was fine until auto update a day or two later, and have the same problem, if its going to be a long time before update then we shall return the TV

Thanks

16. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    My TV updated 2 days ago and Netflix is now fully functioning with Dolby Vision content looking great

Well done

17. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Yes my tv also updated and dolby vision working great thank you great work 👍

18. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    I had same problem with Netflix dolby vision and the update cured that problem but screwed up the Youtube app - the app looks okay on startup but I can't view any video's (4K or otherwise), when I try to view a video all I get is "Loading..." then a blank screen and I have to reset the TV by unplugging it - remote is ignored etc

19. Re: Dolby Vision Netflix Rakuten
    Hi WeeGraham, if you email the team on support.uk@toshiba-tv.com they can help and look into this one for you.