Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P750 - Cannot boot to instal Win7 to new HDD

1. Satellite P750 - Cannot boot to instal Win7 to new HDD
    Beginner
    Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum and I'm having a problem with a P750 which I bought without a hard drive, but guaranteed in working condition. I have fitted a new Western Digital HDD. I'm hoping someone can help me with the next step.

The problem: When powered on, the Toshiba splash screen appears but is followed by a blank black screen with the cursor blinking in the top left corner. There are no error messages. The DVD drive can be heard winding over but the computer makes no attempt to boot from any device.

F2 BIOS settings and F12 Boot Order both come up normally in response to key press.

On selecting either USB boot or DVD boot from the F12 menu, neither works, the screen simply reverts to black.

Changing boot order settings in BIOS has no effect.

All attached devices including USB flash drives are properly recognised by name, both in the BIOS and in the F12 boot menu.

Boot speed is set to "Normal" (as opposed to "Fast"). The system date and time are properly set.

The BIOS is AMT v2.10. It offers no option to switch between UEFI mode and CSM, nor any options relating to "secure boot". In fact neither of them even gets a mention in the BIOS.

The bootable USB flash drive was created using the Microsoft Windows USB/DVD creation tool, and genuine Windows 7 Home Premium ISO, both downloaded from the Microsoft website. The DVD is genuine Microsoft. The computer is in brand-new condition and gives every appearance of being in perfect working order.

What can I try next? Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

2. Re: Satellite P750 - Cannot boot to instal Win7 to new HDD
    Beginner
    SOLVED - By a local genius who runs a laptop repair business out of his garage.

1. Remove the power lead and the battery.
    2. Remove and reseat the hard drive.
    3. Remove and reseat the RAM.
    4. Reconnect the power lead only. Leave the battery aside.
    5. Power on. The computer now boots from installation media.
    6. Instal Windows and replace the battery when installation is finished.

It is possible that some of these steps may not be necessary every time but, taken together, apparently they always work.