Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Smart TV 49u5766db - Is it possible to install/download more apps?

1. Smart TV 49u5766db - Is it possible to install/download more apps?
    Beginner
    Hi Guys,

I would like to know if it is possible to install or download more apps than the ones which come with the TV.

I would like to have apps like IPTV and Popcorn Time.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

2. Re: Smart TV 49u5766db - Is it possible to install/download more apps?
    Hi, Unfortunately you are unable to download more applications on the TV apart from the ones that are on the store.

3. Re: Smart TV 49u5766db - Is it possible to install/download more apps?
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Murphy View Post
    Hi, Unfortunately you are unable to download more applications on the TV apart from the ones that are on the store.
    This really is a huge area of disappointment, and if Toshiba, previously a respected name in consumer electronics, doesn't wake up, it will loose all smart TV sales once the consumers wake up.

Toshiba's "we know what's best for you" attitude belongs somewhere around 1980, and even so makes Microsoft's Windows 1980 - 2000 look like the ultimate in open systems. Even bigger shame in that they have managed to put Linux into such a straight-jacket.

OK, I wasn't expecting Android TV, but I was expecting a lot more user choice than what I have been served up with. E.g. I don 't want a German Arte channel on the Internet portal, but I have to like it or lump it it seems.

CJH

4. Re: Smart TV 49u5766db - Is it possible to install/download more apps?
    If you are unhappy with the TV you can of course try a return back to the retailer.

5. Re: Smart TV 49u5766db - Is it possible to install/download more apps?
    Beginner
    As a relatively inexpensive first "smart" TV, I am content to treat this as a learning exercise. And as a semi- smart TV, it does OK.

But whenever replacement becomes appropriate, I will have learnt to not go anywhere near Toshiba, unless the company shows a considerably better understanding of the imperative to meet customers' aspirations.