Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P70-A SSD question

1. Satellite P70-A SSD question
    Beginner
    Hello,

I recently bought a SSD drive to add to my laptop. As you probably know there is a second free slot that you can use to add a new HD. Can I just add my SSD to that free slot or I need to swap my old HDD with the SSD in the original slot? Also, if I have to swap the drives, can I add the SSD into the second free slot and do the data migration and swap them later or I need to do that through a recovery drive (I will create one anyway)?

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite P70-A SSD question
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbt12 View Post
    Hello,

I recently bought a SSD drive to add to my laptop. As you probably know there is a second free slot that you can use to add a new HD. Can I just add my SSD to that free slot or I need to swap my old HDD with the SSD in the original slot? Also, if I have to swap the drives, can I add the SSD into the second free slot and do the data migration and swap them later or I need to do that through a recovery drive (I will create one anyway)?

Thanks
    If you swap the drives, your pc will not be able to find the OS anymore. This means that if you want to use the SSD for storage only, you can just add it in the second slot and get going. If you want to install the OS on the SSD. you can still add it to the second slot, but then have to install windows on that disk first before you do data migration (back up all your data on a separate drive first!). If you do not format your HDD drive after that (or remove windows off your HDD in a different way), this might have you end up with a dual boot machine.

I am not an expert though, so I have to admit I do not know any other way of removing Windows off your HDD than just formatting. For me personally that never was a problem as I usually wanted to start with a clean install. But if you do not want to format your HDD (or have a dual boot machine) I advise you wait until someone shows up that can give you more detailed advice.