Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable

1. 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    I purchased the 49U6663DB from Costco recently. I've just been completing a full house renovation and have eventually got round to installing and connecting all the TVs purchased. All of my TVs (Samsung, LG etc.) work allowing Catchup facilities BBC iPlayer, 4od etc. the Toshiba is the only one that won't do this.

The re-build was complete with hi-spec internet throughout with no Aeriel connections, due to having a centralised node media station which basically routes all input sources throughout the house.

The Toshiba is placed in a room mainly to utilise the likes of BBC iPlayer, 4od etc.

We are unable to utilise the Smart features advertised with the Television unless an Aerial is connected to the set-top. Do you have an updated Firmware that can be sent either OTA or via USB as the TV main functions are pretty useless.

It was advertised and sold to us as a Smart TV with Netflix, iPlayer etc. being available and at no point did it state an Aerial point was NECESSARY, otherwise we would of simply purchased an alternative model.

2. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Beginner
    I have the same problem, my television was delivered yesterday. Toshiba 43U6763 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with Freeview Play, after sorting it all out we finally got the internet connection, but cannot access any of the tv apps. We can watch you tube, but every time we try BBC iplayer or ITV hub we get a message saying we have to be connected to internet or our tv is not tuned. We also have no aerial, and get ours from Virgin. If they had said in the description that an aerial is required I would have gone for another TV. I am paying for something I cannot use. I am happy with our television in every other way apart from this. My son has a Samsung and does not have an aerial but can use all the apps on his television.

3. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Enthusiast
    Yeah this is a thing, you need to have a aerial connection on the TV to be able to access those features, and the internet connection of course.

Just do a channel scan and then you should be fine to watch those catch up services, an internal aerial will work fine as well.

4. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    It's okay saying Just use an Internal aerial.

I've just refurbished a full house from top to bottom and Network pointed every single TV.

They're all flush wall mounted with NO wires or anything on show....

The last thing I'm going to do is go ahead and plonk an internal aerial with a plug somewhere!?

I've a Samsung 4K and LG 4K TV both purchased at a similar time and these both just run solely off the Ethernet connection to let us use iPlayer / 4od / netflix etc.

I've reached out to Costco support tonight as I'm literally sick and tired of this TV! By far the WORST ever form of "Smart TV" i have EVER came accross

5. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy67 View Post
    I have the same problem, my television was delivered yesterday. Toshiba 43U6763 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with Freeview Play, after sorting it all out we finally got the internet connection, but cannot access any of the tv apps. We can watch you tube, but every time we try BBC iplayer or ITV hub we get a message saying we have to be connected to internet or our tv is not tuned. We also have no aerial, and get ours from Virgin. If they had said in the description that an aerial is required I would have gone for another TV. I am paying for something I cannot use. I am happy with our television in every other way apart from this. My son has a Samsung and does not have an aerial but can use all the apps on his television.
    Did you purchase from Costco or elsewhere?

Have you had any joy getting this issue resolved?

6. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Hi there, The TVs require a aerial and internet connection on the TV this is how the Toshiba TVs work. Where was the TV purchased from?

7. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Beginner
    I have a Toshiba 43U6763 - it won't show iPlayer or ITVcatch up. The aerial is in the telly and the internet is fine, no problem with Netflix - Why no catch-up or iPlayer?

8. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Beginner
    I had the same issue - I have just solved it by turning off my BT Router for a couple of mins, then turning it on again. Turning TV off then on - and because I turned off Router and on again - it now all works fine with player and ITV and catch up services. Try it!

9. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Hi all,I I've just bought the same model as cathy67 and have the same problem,why has admin not answered this common question,how do you get it to connect to the smart portal/Freeview Play ? it does connect with Netflix and YouTube?

10. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Hi, as I mentioned previously in this thread to be able to watch catch up apps you need both an internet and an aerial connection. You need to have an aerial connected and to have scanned for channels. Once you have done that you will be able to watch the catch up apps.

11. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Same problem here with a 32D3754DB - numerous Smart Services (All4 etc.) not available without tuned in TV and aerial. This completely defeats the point of online Internet smart services. I have no Aerial, because there is NO signal where I live. That is why I bought a smart TV. But this Toshiba TV (and reading this thread: clearly many/most/all Toshiba TVs) is just not fit for purpose in this respect. Great shame. I hope someone at Toshiba is going to read this thread and address the issue. Otherwise I will have go back to Samsung - no similar problems with them.

12. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    The reason the TV needs an aerial connection as well is because of the chipset that the TVs use.

13. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Murphy View Post
    The reason the TV needs an aerial connection as well is because of the chipset that the TVs use.
    Yes, I understand that - but thatís exactly what I am complaining about ! Internet services ought to be fully available through the Internet and should not require a television aerial. Other brands clearly recognise that - as I said before, there is access to all internet services on a Samsung TV without aerial. The aerial requirement should be very clearly pointed out by Toshiba in the product specs. . I would not have bought a Toshiba TV if Iíd known this.
    Toshiba have made a very consumer unfriendly decision there.

14. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    If you are not happy wth the way the TV is set up you are always more than welcome to return to your retailer.

15. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Beginner
    I have the same problem.

Can I ask does the aerial need to get a signal? As I live in an area where TV signal is very poor (large hill blocking signal) and have to rely on satellite signal. Also doe the aerial need to be plugged in all the time?

If I had known this I would not have purchased this television, nowhere in the ad or specs of tv does it mention that an aerial has to be connected to get BBC iPlayer or catch up tv services.

16. Re: 49U6663DB Smart Features Unavailable
    Hi Weetooner,

Yes the Tv would need a signal from the aerial to allow the catch up services to work as the TV requires data from both a aerial and internet connection.