Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?

1. How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?
    Beginner
    Although we are generally very pleased with this new TV, we have been unable to make it record. The only mention of recording given in the handbook appears to be the indication of the "record" button on the remote control. We've an external 500GB HDD onto which we'd like to be able to record programmes.

Thanks to the electronic guide in the TV we've now learnt of the powering-up sequence to enable the HDD to be recognised. We then managed to format it successfully, during which process the write indicator on the external HDD flashed repeatedly. Subsequently we've been able to access a choice of media inputs. However all of these folders are empty as all our attempts at recording on to the HDD after formatting it had failed, although we did try each USB port ..

We attempt to record on to the HDD by pressing the "record" button on the remote control, but nothing happens. What should we do in order to record?

2. Re: How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?
    Try formatting the HDD to FAT32 from a PC as recording won't work in NTFS. Also depending on the HDD it might not be compatible, there not always compatibly with different models of TV.

What model of HDD is it your using?

3. Re: How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?
    Beginner
    Thank you very much for your replies. I apologise for my delay in responding, caused mainly by the difficulty I encountered in endeavouring to format a HDD on my computer under Windows 7, which only offers exFAT and NTFS under the GUI; FAT32 only being available via command line. However even the latter declined to format my 500GB HDD on the grounds that the volume size was too big. The HDD is a "Caviar SE 16" SATA drive, manufactured by or for Western Digital in Malaysia on 23rd January 2007, model WDAAKS-DOTMA0. DCM is HARCNV2CA. Drive parameters LBA976773168 500GB. Serial number WMAPW1228511. The HDD is mounted in an ITC disk enclosure with its own separate power supply and provides USB2 output.

Eventually I stumbled on a third-party application, AOEMI Partition Assistant, which enabled me to format the HDD as FAT32 (which I had first to format as NTFS then convert to FAT32).

Our Toshiba TV receives terrestrial broadcasts via a wireless network connection to a Virgin Media TIVO box. I tried recording BBC news, a terrestrial broadcast, via Virgin Media channel 101, onto the 500GB HDD I'd re-formatted as FAT32 on my computer but, as before, nothing happened. I also tried recording a Netflix transmission, but with a similar result.

I then formatted a 124MB data key to FAT32 on my computer and again tried to record from channel 101, but to no avail. Next I re-formatted the data key on the TV but, once again, was unable to record.

I also tried your helpful suggestion that I should endeavour to set up the HDD to record a program in advance of its transmission. Again, this didn't work.

Toshiba has advised that "operation of the television with a SATA drive is not recommended." but has so far not specified what type of HDD is recommended, though it did state that the Toshiba Canvio Basics 500GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive had been tested and worked as a recording device. I find this an interesting recommendation as Argos, which sells it, advises me that it is a SATA drive. On the other hand I found a video online in which someone partially disassembled one of these drives and commented that it is not a SATA drive.

I have found the whole recording endeavour impossibly confusing and after my numerous attempts to record over the past 6 weeks am reluctantly forced to the conclusion that I am unlikely to be able to do so successfully. My daughter is going to take possession of the TV. I had hoped to register the warranty on-line to her, but the attempt was rejected on the grounds that the serial number was invalid. On further enquiry this proved to be Toshiba/Vestel's way of saying that the warranty for this particular model could not be registered on-line and that one had to provide the paper sales receipt for it if/when making a claim.
    PS As I have also been communicating with Toshiba through support.uk@toshiba-tv.com I haven't used the phone number you kindly suggested as I assume that the same Toshiba/Vestel knowledge base would be used.

4. Re: How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?
    Beginner
    I have a problem using an HDD in that I can record and playback no problem, but the drive keeps powering down and then the TV fails to realise it is connected and so does not wake it up. The drive is a 1TB Western Digital Green drive and sits in a cheap CIT external enclosure. The power lights on the enclosure remain on but the drive is not spinning. To get the TV to notice the attached drive I need to turn the power to the hard drive off and on again. How do I resolve this?

5. Re: How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?
    Hi Everyone,

The USB recording function won't work on the HDMI source or any other source other then TV which is for the terrestrial channels, so this would explain why you can't record onto your HDD.

Try changing the source to TV and seeing if this records, but SATA drives aren't recommend for recording from these sets so using a USB stick or Non SATA hard-drive and formatting to FAT32 and you should be able to record from the TV.

6. Re: How to record on HDD via USB to 43U6663DB 43" TV ?
    Beginner
    Thank goodness I no longer have the set!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Murphy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

The USB recording function won't work on the HDMI source or any other source other then TV which is for the terrestrial channels, so this would explain why you can't record onto your HDD.

Try changing the source to TV and seeing if this records, but SATA drives aren't recommend for recording from these sets so using a USB stick or Non SATA hard-drive and formatting to FAT32 and you should be able to record from the TV.