Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra Z40-C Win10 x64 system fan is always on

1. Tecra Z40-C Win10 x64 system fan is always on
    Beginner
    Hi

The system fan is always spinning in my Tecra Z40-C-106, is this expected behaviour or is my laptop faulty?

I've tried installing all system drivers and turned on Eco mode but the fan never goes below about 3100rpm.

Tried BIOS setting cooling method to power saver, no change.

Tried setting the cooling method in Toshiba Power Saver settings (in Windows power settings) to power save, no change.

Tried speedfan utility, didn't find my fan controller.

Tried notebook fan control utility but there are no configurations for the Tecras and I didn't manage to find anything useful when probing the EC registers, the fan does not seem to be controlled by the EC.

Read about someone who supposedly manages the fan through ioctl calls to tvalz.sys but that is above me at the moment.

I can force the fan to spin faster when applying load to the CPU to warm it up so the temperature compensation seems to work but the fan never goes below those 3100rpm when the system cools down again.

It's quite annoying to have to listen to that little high pitch fan when the laptop is running cool anyway most of the day....

Any ideas?

2. Re: Tecra Z40-C Win10 x64 system fan is always on
    Beginner
    Hello again, update!

Flashed the 6.40 (20171113) BIOS image and lo and behold the computer is now dead silent!!

The fan control is now working as you would expect, fan is stopped when computer is cold and starts when computer gets warm.

Note that since Windows installed some updates when the BIOS install rebooted the machine it could also be that some bug in Windows concerning ACPI was fixed but it seems more likely that the BIOS provided the fix. I cannot confirm this since I cannot find any change logs for the BIOS but hey, I'm now a happy owner of a quiet system

The fan now seems to be correctly controlled by switching settings in Windows power settings aswell, setting cooling method to power save stops the fan instantly if it was turned due to high temp. However the system is awfully slow in this mode since CPU is agressively underclocked to cool it down so I really can't recommend it to anyone.

For normal day to day work the fan is now at 0 rpm all the time using "balanced" cooling method but wear a seatbelt cuz you will get used to the silence and when the fan kicks in it does so att 50% speed and causes quite some noise.

Cheers