Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key

1. Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Hi, my L50-B-1P laptop keyboard is set to carry out the functions of the F-keys if I press a key on the top row, by default, and if I hold the fn key, then it will switch to the special functions, like volume and brightness. It's becoming very irritating to me that it's this way round, because I almost never use the F-keys, but obviously I very regularly adjust the volume and brightness. Because I have reinstalled windows in the past, I don't actually have the Toshiba software on my laptop that may have allowed me to invert the fn key, so I googled it and found that you can change it in the UEFI settings, and so I tried that, found the setting, but it doesn't do anything. No matter which way round it's set to, the fn key will always work this inconvenient way round. So, does anyone know why this UEFI setting isn't working and maybe how it can be fixed? Thanks

2. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Hi
    You can change the FN setting in the BIOS. Reboot and hold F2 to go into the BIOS.

3. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Hi, thanks for the fast response. I rebooted and tried holding F2, as opposed to F12 which I'd normally hold to get into UEFI, and I just got the UEFI settings again. I think the UEFI is what my laptop has instead of a bios. I still tried changing the setting anyway and it still didn't change it

4. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Its a UEFI BIOS. You may need to install the Toshiba System Driver and Toshiba System Settings to access the FN option within Windows.

5. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Hi, I went onto the Toshiba support UK website, entered the serial number of my laptop and filled in all of the other details, but the only Toshiba system driver available was one for Windows 8, which makes sense, because this laptop came with Windows 8.1 and I downgraded it. But I tried installing the windows 8 one anyway and then my laptop couldn't boot, so I had to do a system restore in safe mode. Clearly the driver was not something my laptop wanted on it. So I had no driver, but I thought I'd try the Toshiba System Settings anyway, so I downloaded and installed it, and tried changing the fn key setting within it, but it didn't do anything, presumably because there's no driver for it.

I understand that this may actually be impossible because I'm using Windows 7 on a laptop that came with Windows 8.1, and therefore no such Toshiba driver for my model of laptop probably exists, but I could be wrong

6. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    8.0 drivers are not compatible with 8.1, and vice versa.

Install fresh Windows 8.1

Go to http://www.toshiba.eu/support/drivers/
    select PSKTAE in the drop down menu's, choose Win8.1

Install:
    Toshiba System Driver
    Toshiba System Settings
    Toshiba Function Key Utility
    Intel Chipset
    Graphics Driver
    ..then the rest of the drivers + utilities.

(there are Win7 drivers available as well)

7. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    I'm sorry, I think I was ambiguous in my previous reply. I'll repeat what I said but clearer: My laptop came with Windows 8.1, but I downgraded it to Windows 7, so I'm currently using Windows 7, and now I'm trying to find the Toshiba drivers for my model of laptop, for Windows 7.

If I install Windows 8.1 fresh, install the drivers, and then go back to Win7, then when I go back to Win7, it will wipe the hard drive anyway and get rid of the drivers, so I don't see the point in that.

I looked on the Toshiba website like you said, and they do have every driver that you said, for 8.1, but not for 7. That's my problem, I would like versions of these drivers that work on Windows 7.

8. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    The PSKTAE model has Win7 drivers.
    I think you chose the wrong model on that website.

9. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	620

I've attached a screenshot of the details I entered, and I'm fairly certain they are right

10. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    I cant see the image.
    What is the PSxxxx-xxxx model number?

11. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    PSKTAE is what's printed on the bottom of my laptop. Here's everything I entered in the screenshot:

Product, Accessory or Service Type: Portables
    Family: Satellite
    Series: Satellite L Series
    Model: Satellite L50-B
    Short Part Number: PSKTAE
    Operating System: Windows 7 - 64 Bit
    Driver Type: Toshiba System Driver
    Language: English
    Date of upload newer than: Nothing entered
    Keywords: [none]

12. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Remove this selection:
    Driver Type: Toshiba System Driver

Toshiba System Driver is for Win8/10 only.
    Windows 7 uses Toshiba Value Added Package instead.

13. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Thank you so much! I tried installing it and it only installed the first two parts of the package, not the last 2, so I tried again and it did the same thing, but I restarted, then tried again and it installed perfectly well, and now the keys appear to be working as I want them to. Thank you. There's just one thing though, while it was installing the Toshiba Power Saver, the screen suddenly went brighter at one point, as though it had done something to the brightness during installation, and I then tried adjusting the brightness with the brightness keys, with and without the fn key, to be sure, and it didn't adjust it, and since then, I haven't been able to. The volume buttons work perfectly fine without the fn key pressed, and I can change the brightness in the control panel still, but I can't seem to change it with the brightness keys, and because this happened while it was installing the Toshiba power saver, I can only assume it had something to do with the installation.

14. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Did you install any Windows 8 drivers or utilities?
    These may be causing problems in Win7. Uninstall them, and install the Win7 version.

15. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    On the Toshiba support website, in the filters, I set the OS to Windows 7 64-bit, and downloaded and installed just the Toshiba Value Added Package, and nothing else, so I'm fairly certain that I didn't download anything for Windows 8

16. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    I dont know why the brightness isnt working.
    Many the graphics driver isnt installed?
    Perhaps the BIOS needs updating?

17. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Oh, hold on a moment. After restarting it a few times for other reasons, it seems to have gone back to the setting in the UEFI having no effect, but I can adjust the brightness perfectly fine now, it's just I need to hold the fn key to do it

18. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    If you have installed Hardware Setup from the drivers page, you should have theToshiba HWSetup utility installed, HWSetup will allow you to change the Fn setting from within Windows.

19. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    I had the HWSetup utility installed, it was part of the package I think, but I didn't have the hardware setup driver installed, so I installed that, but it made no difference. I've set it to special function mode in the software, restarted, checked the UEFI settings to ensure that it says special function mode there as well, and after windows started again, it hadn't made any difference. It's still set the wrong way round

20. Re: Satellite Pro L50-B-1P1, can't invert fn key
    Beginner
    Wow, that was lucky! For other reasons, I reinstalled Windows 7, and upon reinstalling the Toshiba utility package, it seemed to work perfectly fine! The fn key is now the way round I want it to be, and it appears to have stayed that way, at least for the past day it has. Thank you so much for all of your help!