Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: FAN TOO NOISY WITH ONLY 20% OF CPU in Satellite P50

1. FAN TOO NOISY WITH ONLY 20% OF CPU in Satellite P50
    Beginner
    My Satellite P50-B11-M works fine, but has a problem.

The fan runs at maximum as soon as the CPU gets to 20%. The noise is very annoying.
    The normal interactive PC works, consume little cpu and then the fans fortunately not operate or operate very low.
    However, Windows starts automatically few long batch processes, which consume 20% cpu.
    The fan comes on fast, disturbing my work on PC.
    This obliges me to finish the windows processes (ctl + alt + del), to silence the fan.

What I would like to understand is:

1. It is normal for the fan to come up with only 20%, with a CPU of 2.6 GHz?
    2. It is normal that the fan is so noisy and annoying, in a top PC as Satellite P50 ?
    3. The action of the fan is adjustable as sensitivity?

2. Re: FAN TOO NOISY WITH ONLY 20% OF CPU in Satellite P50
    Beginner
    Hi to all
    No response so far from anyone, even from some of the Toshiba support operator.
    I tried to navigate to the support, for clarification or suggestions, but continues to appear only a message of "Battery Replacement Program" (which does not concern me), in an infinite loop.
    I would like to propose to Toshiba, a "cooling replacement program in a less intrusive"!
    I annoy me having to change my PC to a year after purchase, it is not possible to have a solution.
    Fabrizio

3. Re: FAN TOO NOISY WITH ONLY 20% OF CPU in Satellite P50
    Beginner
    Hi Fabrizio,
    I have a different model, Satellite P55W-B5224, but the same issue. I believe Toshiba is doing a crappy job designing computers or maybe they use poor quality parts. In my case, the fan started rattling horribly after a year or so. Recently I bought a replacement fan on eBay, but that didn't last a month. What I discovered replacing the fan is that it's very flimsy and the design is really stupid. They should know better. I don't know what to suggest you. You'd have to replace the fan, but if you can get a different computer that would probably be a better solution, because, like I said - it will keep happening over and over again. My PC is 3 years old and if I sell it now I will lose a lot of it's value (unlike Mac laptops). So, I'm kind of stuck with it. But if I get more money I will sell it anyway and get something else that doesn't have this stupid fan problem. All the best to you.

4. Re: FAN TOO NOISY WITH ONLY 20% OF CPU in Satellite P50
    Beginner
    Hi Fabrizio, you need to replace the fan, somehow it's poor quality and obviously Toshiba is not making it easy to have it repaired. Check out your local computer shops, they can order spare parts on eBay. Good luck!

5. Re: FAN TOO NOISY WITH ONLY 20% OF CPU in Satellite P50
    Beginner
    Hi to all.
    I was hoping for some indication of the problem, at least from the Toshiba service. Nothing. Nothing at all.
    I can not work with a noisy computer (although it belongs to the high end and costs over 1000 eur), so I will change my computer by selecting it silently.
    Fabrizio (very angry)