Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Backlit keyboard Satellite S50t-b - keyboard replacement

1. Backlit keyboard Satellite S50t-b - keyboard replacement
    Beginner
    My laptop got wet (water).. At first only one key was not working.
    It got worse when i tryed to fix it I put it under a fan and it made most keys not respond
    some keys were working but i decided to change the keyboard.
    ( i didnt power it off and just used a usb keyboard)

I have replaced the keyboard from ebay
    My question is about the back lit strip.
    My old keyboard; had a ribben cable coming out to LED light node and additional black plastic wraping on the backside of keyboard.
    I broke the ribben from the old keyboard ( no not the regular ribben cable )
    I reconnected the new keyboard which; did not have led lights or black plastic
    I go into keyboard on control pannel and it says my keyboard is connected (1 to usb & 2 to the computers port Standard P/S2 keyboard& is working fine
    .( it isnt working at all)

Does my laptop need to have the led circuit connected?
    is it a loop to the keyboard ribben ( which i have connected)

I have talked to someone who believes this is for led(s) and all that is uncommon on non-backlit keyboards and should not be necessary for the keyboard to work and we believe its only lighting.
    keyboard to turn on but I am missing a ribben connection to this extra strip of LED lights and what else ?

Should i order a plastic led light strip and stick it to my new keyboard to match the original
    Do i need to complete the circuit where the led ribben was connected as it is a loop or safety feature or to complete the circuit
    is there any chance i blew a fuse* on the port and that is why it wont respond .
    because when i blew the fan on it it went from one single key not responding to like half one side no working and one time keys were stuck down.

I will try bridging the led ribben with a papper clip or the original ribben to see if it is a loop power issue and that is mainly why i came here to find out if i needed the black plastic with additional led lights in order for my keyboard to function.

Let me know if u think i blew the node* and is not a simple keyboard problem now or if the Led ribben is essential in some way

I will try to connect my old keyboard which was working like atleast one key to see if it is a compatibility issue which would be rare id suspect.
    im thinking that extra ribben is essential for the keybord to function with the rest of the computer and it needs to be there

It only broke because watching tutorials online: no sign of a ribben connected to LED lights was present so it was a surprize when i was removing it
    and my new keyboard didnt have that feature and was just generic with no back lighting so its not like i broke it i just dont have it connected

LED power feed looped circuit? internal water damage? Software? nothing else is at fault with my computer just my keyboard
    and control panel is confirming that it is connected to the port

2. Re: Backlit keyboard Satellite S50t-b - keyboard replacement
    Beginner
    My bad i had a faulty connection sorry. need to delete this thread

3. Re: Backlit keyboard Satellite S50t-b - keyboard replacement
    Beginner
    please delete thread i have fixed my problem which was a personal fault