Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH

1. Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH
    Beginner
    Hi!
    Does someonw know which boot key combination is working for the L850-1k0 ?
    I flashed a modded bios, that first worked, then changed settings for the graphic card, shut down and now the laptop is with black screen (also at external monitor on VGA or HDMI).

Now I try to reflash the original BIOS (InsydeH20 6.8) with wincrisis ( which should boot from usb, which would be indicated by the flasing light on the usb), but this needs certain key combinations held during powering on, that differ: I tried with the ones I found googling for similar models, Fn + Esc, Fn + Esc, Windows + F, Windows + B, Fn + B - but nothing worked, no activity at the usb.

So does someone know the working combination für this model L850-1k0?
    I did not find something searching for it online!

Help would be very appreciated!

Thank You!
    Timmtomm

2. Re: Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH
    Beginner
    Hi TIMMTOMM,

Did you manage to boot the original bios?
    My Toshiba l850-1w9 PSKDNE is the same as yours, (only HDD and OS difference) I haven't booted a bios from USB drive and I don't know the combinations for it but there is an article for how to boot modded bios on the net but I don't think they will leave it posted here. Just search for modded bioses for the l850 and leave out the 1k0.

And just a quick guess did you install a modded bios to enable the CPU integrated video card so you can use it to Miracast, or something alike?

3. Re: Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH
    Beginner
    Hi st3ch,
    no, unfortunately until now I did not find a possibility, to FLASH the orignal InsydeH2O V6.8 Bios now.

Thank you for your suggestion, but googling for boot options of modded Bios only leads to the Question, how to do a Bios recovery with the program Wincrisis and an usb flash drive, because the settings in the already flashed (= installed) modded bios I made for the internal Graphics card led to a non-bootin system with black screen and only LEDs on and fan running.
    But to initialise the bios recovery for this InsydeH2O Bios (which should first flash the BIOS, using the file provided on the USB-drive, alltough the laptop is not completly booting up), I need to know the key combo for this model - others I found did not work for me right now. Without it, it does not start reading and executing the Wincrisis program and the provided bios file on usb ...

No, I didn´t try to use Micracast, but wanted to enable the CPU integrated video card to take advantage of intel quick sync for video transcoding ...

4. Re: Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH
    Beginner
    OK then, I saw you posted on the site I was referring and If you didn't receive any help yet, I would like to try and help
    first I really would like you to succeed because I want the exact same thing like you, but didn't have the b*lls to try it as you did
    second unfortunately I do not posses higher knowledge than you, but here we have a saying that two heads are better than one

I saw that you used the same combinations as I found that leaves me to ask:
    - did you make a recovery usb with the correct bios name in it, it should be FX64.f any different and it will not work for sure. I don't think you need anything other than the correct bios file and name;
    - did you try all USB ports, if not do so;
    - did you try removing the bios battery while flashing (just guessing here)
    I have sent you an message with a link that should be useful.

5. Re: Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH
    Beginner
    Thanks for all these suggestions!

I tried it with two different USB flash drives, using fat32 as well as fat format, I also tried both the F680.fd and F8680.fd, extracted from the BIOS_V680.EXE downloaded from the Toshiba website, renamed to FX64.f as well as to FX64.fd, using the key combinations Fn & ESC, with our without the BIOS battery, but with all these different tries I was stuck at the point, that never there was an indication for any read/wright activity on the USB drive (no LED blinking on the USB drive ...) in any combination I tried ...
    I also controlled whether the USB slot would have power with a tiny USB fan I connected, which worked, so it seemed, that was not the problem...

I handed the laptop to repair now (either to replace the BIOS chip or replace the mainboard), so I will not be able to go on trying more combinations.

Perhaps an older version of the BIOS files would have worked, or other USB drives, or even USB floppy? I don't know ...

So, thank you anyway!
    ( And so much for the 'b*lls', but it's more like 'curiosity killed the cat' for me now ... :-( )

Should anyone manage this in the future, I would like to hear about it!

Greetings

6. Re: Boot key combo in win crises for Satellite L850-1k0 - no boot after BIOS FLASH
    Beginner
    TIMMTOMM I am very sorry that you didn't manage to flash it, and I really wanted to help and see you succeed.
    I hope that the repair wouldn't be costly and would be quick.
    If I stumble on anything about the matter I will post it here.
    Best of luck!