Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C70-C-1DV - Display shows too few different colors

1. Satellite C70-C-1DV - Display shows too few different colors
    Beginner
    Hello,

I have a Satellite C70-C-1DV, and I have a problem with the way colors are displayed: Different (similar) colors are displayed on screen as identical colors - for example, RGB 0/0/0, 1/1/1, 2/2/2, 3/3/3 all are displayed as just black. See this picture with 10 light and 10 dark colors - on my display, I only see three light and three dark colors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-colors-light-and-dark.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	474

The problem becomes particularly annoying when watching movies with dark scenes, because on my screen, there you do not see fluid color transitions, you always see lines where one color ends and the next color starts.

Any hints on how to fix this problem?

Georg

2. Re: Satellite C70-C-1DV - Display shows too few different colors
    The cheaper notebooks have a 6bit LCD. To get better contrast you should look at more expensive notebooks with an 8bit LCD, or use an external monitor.

3. Re: Satellite C70-C-1DV - Display shows too few different colors
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Akuma7 View Post
    The cheaper notebooks have a 6bit LCD.
    That is really disappointing, all the more so because it is not mentioned anywhere in the product spec, e.g. http://www.toshiba.de/laptops/satell...ite-c70-c-1dv/

If I had known this before, I would not have bought this model.

4. Re: Satellite C70-C-1DV - Display shows too few different colors
    Beginner
    Anyway, if you read this thread because you have the same problem: If you use VLC player to view videos, in tools / effects and filters, you can enable the video effect "film grain" - adding a little film grain improves the percieved video quality on the built in screen noticeably!