Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L50D-C - Start-up issues

1. Satellite L50D-C - Start-up issues
    Beginner
    I have had my Toshiba Satellite L50D-C since 19 October 2015 and virtually from day 1 I have had issues powering up the laptop in standby mode. I press the power button and the light comes on as does the num lock and caps lock lights. The power light stays on as does the num lock but the caps lock light goes off I then wait and wait and nothing happens. I have found that if I hold down the power button for a few seconds the laptop turns off and then I am able to re-start.

I enquired at the place of purchase and was told that I should remove the battery and press the start button for at least 10 seconds, effectively discharging the power like in a flash unit I'm told and then I should find the laptop will power up from standby mode.

I did this and it works great for a few days then the same issues returns, I repeat the "solution" and away I go again.

Whilst this solves my problem, for a few day, I find it very odd that this is a necessary step must be taken. My husband also has a Toshiba Satellite, albeit a year or so older than mine, and he has never had this issue.

Is this normal?? ..Can it be fixed?? ..under warranty?? ..What should I do?? .

Thanks to anyone who can assist me.

Lainie

2. Re: Satellite L50D-C - Start-up issues
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have exactly the same issue but also find that even after changing my power settings the laptop will shut itself into hibernation/sleep after a period of inactivity. I then have to press the power button, nothing happens except the power light is on, then I have to hold the power button down for approx. 5 seconds, and then turn it back on again.... It is such a pain... hopefully someone can help answer these issues on how to fix soon :-(

3. Re: Satellite L50D-C - Start-up issues
    Beginner
    I had this problem and then resolved it, make sure your BIOS is up to date using the Toshiba updater tool. Then go to Toshiba system settings > keyboard > wake on keyboard > enable. Restart the computer and make sure the settings were saved by going back into Toshiba system settings and see if it's still enabled. If the settings didn't save then you'll have to enter your BIOS manually by going into the windows settings to by moving the mouse to the right of the screen and click settings > change settings > update and recovery > Advanced start up > Restart now. Wait for it to load and go into troubleshoot > advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings. Then go to security and make sure secure boot is disabled. Then repeat the first process and enable wake on keyboard again. It should be saved now if it didn't before.

I hope this helps.

4. Re: Satellite L50D-C - Start-up issues
    Beginner
    Thanks so much for your response.

I did a system upgrade a week or so ago and so far so good, I haven't had any problems however should I get the problem again I'll give what you have suggested a go.