Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite U940 - Cannot boot or access BIOS settings

1. Satellite U940 - Cannot boot or access BIOS settings
    I am trying to help with a HDD failure on a U940. The laptop does still work an the failure was (almost certainly) just the HDD.

I have a new HDD in place but I am unable to access BIOS, and the machine obviously wont boot. Just a black screen while the computer tries to do something..
    • F2 then power on doesn't work
    • F12 then power on doesn't work
    • ESC then power on doesn't work
    • Taking the battery out hasn't worked
    • Taking the battery and power cord out and discharging by holding power button down for 60+ seconds hasn't worked.

I can't get at the BIOS. I believe the machine was relying on the Intel hybrid drive stuff using the SDD in RAID before, and that fast book was enabled. Obviously I am unable to clean shut down the machine any more since I can't boot it back up with the old disk.

What I really want to do is reset the whole thing. Get rid of any of the RAID stuff and put Windows back on the new HDD. Any ideas how I can get into the BIOS to get around any of the RAID or FastBoot stuff?

2. Re: Satellite U940 - Cannot boot or access BIOS settings
    Quote Originally Posted by devondan View Post
    I am trying to help with a HDD failure on a U940. The laptop does still work an the failure was (almost certainly) just the HDD.

I have a new HDD in place but I am unable to access BIOS, and the machine obviously wont boot. Just a black screen while the computer tries to do something..
    • F2 then power on doesn't work
    • F12 then power on doesn't work
    • ESC then power on doesn't work
    • Taking the battery out hasn't worked
    • Taking the battery and power cord out and discharging by holding power button down for 60+ seconds hasn't worked.

I can't get at the BIOS. I believe the machine was relying on the Intel hybrid drive stuff using the SDD in RAID before, and that fast book was enabled. Obviously I am unable to clean shut down the machine any more since I can't boot it back up with the old disk.

What I really want to do is reset the whole thing. Get rid of any of the RAID stuff and put Windows back on the new HDD. Any ideas how I can get into the BIOS to get around any of the RAID or FastBoot stuff?
    Is there any way to disable Hybrid Sleep physically? Removing the CMOS battery? Replace memory? I can't do it from software or access the BIOS and I'm wondering if it is this that is preventing a clean boot.