Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Updated BIOS - now black screen on Satellite C660

1. Updated BIOS - now black screen on Satellite C660
    Beginner
    First of all hi first post. I have 2 satellite laptops 1 C660 daughters crashed a while a go so she started using mine. Mine C665D now has broken screen can see some of screen. Decided to first try screen swap no go different connectors so swapped hardy rive from 665 to 660 and did clean install win7 pro. Was looking good but had no network driver. Not having another pc only iPads makes it a bit difficult to download driver so swapped Hardrive back download driver for 660 swapped again loaded driver all good working. Reading advice said to update all driver. Started at the top of Toshiba driver page and did bios update. Crash! During install of bios "confuser" shutdown and now will not boot. Push power button both led come on fan starts then just shuts off. Did a little research and it appears the bios flash was not a good option a pity it was on the driver download page, won't happen again. I have tried starting without battery f2 etc but still shuts down. Any help would be appreciated as I am defiantly out of my depth now. Both laptop currently in pieces but I am getting pretty good at the pull down put back together thing, tempted to bin then both but will see if you guys can help.

cheers Blowen

2. Re: Updated BIOS - now black screen on Satellite C660
    Beginner
    A bit of an update might help others?
    It would appear I need to ref lash the bios. From what I have been reading process as follows.
    1 make a bootable usb ( at this step now)
    2 download bios. I downloaded wi rear to be able to extract the files. there are 4 files as follows.
    1 bios.ROM 4,356 k.b
    2 BiosCheck 1 k.b (this is a notepad read me file)
    3 ec.ROM. 128 k.b
    4 Setup 1389 k.b
    Not exactly sure which file to copy over at a guess I would say 1 but maybe all needed?

3 remove hard drive and optical drive
    4 remove battery insert bootable usb apparently it is imperative that you hold down the F key kept it in then plug ac power on continue to hold the F button let go after a while ( not sure how long 30 seconds I will try) let F button go. If you have a usb with a light if it comes on it is working, wait until it stop restart system and hopefully you can now get into the rest of the system.
    I have got my old Acer laptop out of the Closet fresh installed win 7 was running really slow so spen most of day sorting, was services using 100% cpu, Windows update turned this of and now pretty good to hopefully make bootable usb and put on bios to flash Toshiba.
    Fell free to add if I have missed something.
    Thanks