Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Use GPU linux driver on Satellite P50t-C-104

1. Use GPU linux driver on Satellite P50t-C-104
    Hi,

I just bought a Satellite P50t-C-104, it has an Intel video card and an Nvidia GPU working with Optimus. I'm trying to install linux on it but I've found many problems trying to make the video cards work correctly. First, any linux CD distribution fails during boot producing a black screen when switching the video mode. I've been able to start a session by deactivating the kernel modesetting (nomodeset), that makes the video use the default VESA mode, which uses software rendering (very slow). On addition to that, it shows a thin black bar that covers the bottom of the window, that hides whatever falls behind it. I've tried every possible configuration for both the intel driver (i915) and nvidia (nouveau, nvidia-340), even with the bumblebee and prime projects to no avail. I always get a black screen whenever I don't disable modesetting during boot. Both graphics cards (and drivers) seem to work ok on Windows. This is becoming very frustrating, as linux is my main environment to work, which makes this laptop useless for me.

Did anyone managed to install any linux distribution on this laptop model, where the graphics card works properly (even if it is only the intel card working)? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

2. Re: Use GPU linux driver on Satellite P50t-C-104
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroko View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a Satellite P50t-C-104, it has an Intel video card and an Nvidia GPU working with Optimus. I'm trying to install linux on it but I've found many problems trying to make the video cards work correctly. First, any linux CD distribution fails during boot producing a black screen when switching the video mode. I've been able to start a session by deactivating the kernel modesetting (nomodeset), that makes the video use the default VESA mode, which uses software rendering (very slow). On addition to that, it shows a thin black bar that covers the bottom of the window, that hides whatever falls behind it. I've tried every possible configuration for both the intel driver (i915) and nvidia (nouveau, nvidia-340), even with the bumblebee and prime projects to no avail. I always get a black screen whenever I don't disable modesetting during boot. Both graphics cards (and drivers) seem to work ok on Windows. This is becoming very frustrating, as linux is my main environment to work, which makes this laptop useless for me.

Did anyone managed to install any linux distribution on this laptop model, where the graphics card works properly (even if it is only the intel card working)? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
    I have exactly the same model. I am using Fedora 22, with bumblebee, which I have managed to get working perfectly. I followed https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee#Fedora_22_2, using the NVidia drivers - I did not try Nouveau - the reports suggested support was not great. I did not need to do anything other than what was on that page (to my amazement!).

Grub config is
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
    #GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/system/theme-hidpi.txt"
    GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSans-32.pf2
    with uname -a
    Linux p50t-c.localdomain 4.2.6-201.fc22.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 24 18:42:39 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The bit you are probably missing is the nouveau blacklist - I think X tries to use this for actually displaying but as far as I understand it the Optimus method has only the Intel GPU actually wired up to the display, so it breaks.

Once you get there, HiDPI support is great in KDE5 and GNOME3, Opera, Firefox, Chrome, so-so in PyCharm (and probably all the Jetbrains stuff), not great in Java based apps. Steam is a total wash, which is a disappointment.