Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R830 - Win 8.1 Value Added Package (Flash Cards)

1. Portege R830 - Win 8.1 Value Added Package (Flash Cards)
    Beginner
    Hello.

First I'd like to say, that I've used my Toshiba Portege R830 with all operating systems since win 7 and I have never installed fresh OS.
    That said, I couldnt use Intel WiDi on Win10 and had to go back to Win8 (DVD of which I have luckily bought along with upgrading).

I have installed all toshiba software using upgrade assistant and for the first time since 2011' there was no Flash Cards available (dropdown menu shown with use of Fn keys). I have used it for like 2,5 years on Win 8/8.1 and now its gone and is not available to install...

WTF? After a week I found out that Flash Cards isnt present in VAP 1.6 (only in 1.5.X.X and earlier).
    Unfortunately I cannot install only Flash Cards standalone (or can I?).

And here comes my question: If I install VAP 1.5 (with Flash Cards), can I (ANYHOW) upgrade some elements (like system driver) without uninstalling previous version of VAP?

From my experience when I run VAP 1.6 installer first thing it does is complete uninstall of previous versions.

Please help me! I cant imagine who thought that removing flash cards from 1.6 would be a good idea...

2. Re: Portege R830 - Win 8.1 Value Added Package (Flash Cards)
    Master
    Toshiba EU driver page provides the Toshiba Function Key Utility v1.00.6626.03 for Windows 8 Upgrade.

So if you installed Value Added Package 1.6.0130. you have to install also the Toshiba Function Key Utility

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fnkeys.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	361

3. Re: Portege R830 - Win 8.1 Value Added Package (Flash Cards)
    Beginner
    I did, but TFKU works with only part of Fn Keys and there is no indicator for e.g. touchpad enable/disable option

4. Re: Portege R830 - Win 8.1 Value Added Package (Flash Cards)
    Master
    Well, it seems that Windows 8.1 drivers were not released for this R830 series anymore…
    Only Win 8 Upgrade was officially supported.

But there are Win 8.1 drivers for R930 series.
    The VAP has been replaced by Toshiba System driver and in case you are using Win 8.1 i recommend trying to install the Toshiba System driver in connection with Toshiba Function Key Utility