Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z20T: Screen becomes scratched by virtually anything

1. Portege Z20T: Screen becomes scratched by virtually anything

I own a Portege Z20T B-10C which is a rather nice machine, but has one annoying flaw: The screen gets scratched by virtually any contact. For example, I can't use the "emergency pen" for touch input or to write on the screen as it causes scratches. Also, the screen has already collected a series of scratches shaping the outline of the touchpad, i.e. supposedly produced when closing the laptop. Hence, you can't really use the laptop the way it should be used and I fear that a few months from now the screen will be filled with scratches.

While I'm waiting for my notebook shop to decide whether this is a warranty case or not, I wonder if anyone of you owns this model and has come across the same problem?

2. Re: Portege Z20T: Screen becomes scratched by virtually anything
    United States
    I have exactly the same problem. I've only been using the machine since July and already it's quite damages. Basically the screen rubs against the dock and I have the imprint in the outline of the touchpad. I'm concerned that they will soon damaging the images captured by the camera since the outline of the touch pad is right over the lens.

Toshiba is so far unwilling to repair this and I've included the response from my account rep below. Frankly, I was shocked since this is such an expensive computer and the cause of the problem seems so obvious. I was also disappointed that they didn't consider this thread when evaluating my case since it is the first result when one Googles 'portege scratched screen'.

Hello Eric,

I sent your email with the pictures of your laptop screen scratches. They replied back saying that the scratches are not due to a manufacture defect and there have not been another reports of other Z20t touchscreens getting scratches like this on the screen, so there is nothing they can do to replace it. Our Customer Service Manager will usually just make the call to replace it, if the laptop is with the first 90 days, which is 2 months past the normal return policy. He was not able to get the approval to replace it.

I am glad that you were able to get this laptop back up and running. Please keep that Business Technical Support number handy for any future needs, which I hope that you do not ever have to use it in the future. Please give me a call, if you have any other issues in the future.

3. Re: Portege Z20T: Screen becomes scratched by virtually anything

I had the first tiny scratch on the first day of use and was shocked and really unhappy about this. Since then I’m always placing the grey rag/fabric (delivered with the Z20T, as far as I remember) between keyboard and screen before closing the lid. I’ve never had to be so careful with any other notebook.

Hence the fabric is smaller than the display (including the bezel area around), there are some additional scratches in the camera area. I’ll see whether it’s under warranty, as I have the additional “no matter what guarantee” (NMW103EU-V).

Nevertheless, there are some little scratches in the camera area, which cannot be alway covered

4. Re: Portege Z20T: Screen becomes scratched by virtually anything
    I have the same problem as shown in photo from estacy.