Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?

1. Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I have some serious looking charging issues with my new (6 weeks old) Satellite click mini.
    It seems to be a new addition to an already long list but I had a look at previous posts and could not find the same problem.

The battery ran out about a week ago and I only connected it yesterday evening to charge overnight (I was on holiday ). This morning I tried to start it and it won’t start at all. The only thing it shows every 10 to 20 seconds (without touching the device) is the charging screen. If I believe the screen both batteries are empty but the tablet battery is charging (now for 5 hours without a change in status). It still won’t start when pressing the power button.

Did anyone have a similar issue? Could it be that my battery is just very deeply discharged and patience will solve the problem? Any other recommendations?

The BIOS is upgraded to 1.7 since I had all the other described charging issues at the start and it seems to have fixed those at least.

To be honest I am getting a bit fed up with it. I really like all the benefits of the device (size, tablet detachment, USB connection etc. ) but the list of problems really gets a bit long…

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Sas

2. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    I hope you resolved this. I had the same. The problem seems to be that the unit is switched on and there is not enough power via the mini usb to both run and charge the batteries at the same time.

The solution was to hold the power button down for 15 seconds to ensure a forced switch off then leave to charge and check after a few hours by a very short touch on the power button, not enough to switch it on. Hopefully you will see some charge in the screen battery.

3. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Indeed using this method will have more chance of charging quicker. By the way, have you checked the cpu usage via the task manager. I have found that if for some reason there is more than 50% usage or so, the battery will discharge quicker than what the charger can charge the device with.

Also as an addition, if the keyboard dock does not charge (or your tablet) use what amoun mentioned above (Turn tablet off fully then touch the power button quickly and then disconnect tablet from keyboard dock and quickly connect it again. That somewhat triggers the charge to actually happen (When the charge indicator is showing as charging on the keyboard dock, but not charging)

4. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    To ensure computer switches off completely disable fast boot in bios also

5. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Also note instructions in user manual

"Do not undock the computer if the remaining power of Battery #1
    (refers to the battery pack inside the tablet) is 10% or less. To check
    the remaining battery power, click the battery icon on the Windows
    Taskbar."

6. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    I have this same issue but no matter how long I hold the power button for, it will not turn off. Any suggestions?

7. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Did anyone work out what was wrong?

Mine is doing the exact same.

8. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmcnicoll View Post
    Did anyone work out what was wrong?

Mine is doing the exact same.
    Hi been a while since I checked out this topic and I have had this problem a couple of times since. Holding the power button to switch off isn't that easy, it can take 20 seconds or more.

1. keep plugged in.

2. Once off the screen should not be flashing up with the batteries every 30 seconds or so. Give it a minute to ensure it doesn't seem to be trying to charge

3. Now unplugint he power lead

4. reconnecting should bring up empty battery icons, last time I removed it from base and once screen was charged plugged screen into keyboard

Can take a couple of hours before battery shows any charge as it goes in four steps and you have to uplug and reconnect each time to get a screen reading. Do not switch on to see charge state. after many hours you get 1/4 1/2/ 3/4 full charge. Then like I said plug in base.

Hope this helps, else please detail your problem and what you are doing

9. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Just to confirm.
    1. base not fully charged
    2. using tablet alone and then plugging in: power unit cannot charge both nor either and run OS so
    3. charge tablet whilst not running then plug into base
    otherwise part or all of unit will flash as unit tries to either run OS or charge

10. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    If anything else fails: Unplugging the display from the motherboard may help. I assume that switching the display on to show the charging-symbol on the screen can be too much for a nearly empty battery (especially if it´s an older one) - so the system breaks down and the charging process is interrupted. That also means: When the display is not attached, the energy level might be sufficient to keep charging. (I don´t know if this is the correct explanation. The solution helped, though.)

Opening the case of the display unit is very easy, just be careful not to tear the two cables between the two parts of the case of the display unit. To open the case use a plastic tool or your finger nails. You may start at the bottom where the two connections to the keyboard unit are. After opening the case you have to unplug the two cables between the part with the motherboard and the part with the display. To do so, you have to lift the front part of the connectors on the motherboard, this releases the cables. After that you can plug in the USB power cable, and wait for some time (better longer than than too short). Your laptop should then have enough energy to boot up again.

After that I changed the advanced energy settings in Windows, so that the critical battery level (at which the computer should shut down) is not only 2% but 6% (maybe more is better). This might prevent the battery level to get too low for the charging process.

If this solution doesn´t work, you might order a new battery, maybe it has enough charge to power up the computer ... (I haven´t tried that solution, though.)

11. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Nice post TRJS
    I had a strange problem with a USB cable recently. It was ok powering a phone and when powering the Clickmimi from a 12v DC source but would work via the mains adapter. I kept wondering it the power units were passing some strange signal that interfered with the internal power regulator but no it was just the cable was intermitent at the higher current rating, sometimes.

Good to hear the display come apart I look into a new battery for future ref. But yes, what you say seems spot on

Thanks for your input as these machines weren't on the market for long so it's nice to see someone has one and it's still going.

12. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by TRJS View Post
    . . . Unplugging the display from the motherboard may help. . .
    This should read uplug display from keyboard as the motherboard is in the display unit

13. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by amoun View Post
    This should read uplug display from keyboard as the motherboard is in the display unit
    I think TRJS means open up the tablet case and once inside unplug the connector between the display and the motherboard.
    Personally I think his suggeston is way over the top and unnecessary to charge a fully discharged battery.

14. Re: Satellite Click Mini L9W-B: new charging issue?
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by misar1 View Post
    I think TRJS means open up the tablet case and once inside unplug the connector between the display and the motherboard.
    Personally I think his suggeston is way over the top and unnecessary to charge a fully discharged battery.
    Yes! What you say makes sense so you may be right on both counts