Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself

1. Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Hello there. I have a problem with the touchpad: occasionally (but rather frequently) the cursor starts moving by itself in some diagonal direction. Eventually it stops moving autonomously, but the problem can resume later. When the problem occurs, the laptop becomes unusable.

I ask to a technician here at my work to look into the problem, and he said that the drivers are up-to-date.

Is there a fix for this?

2. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Can you please make small test. Remove touchpad driver from the system and check how it works with “standard driver”. Please send us some feedback.

3. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    I have the exact same problem with my Portege Z30-A (see https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread....ves-on-its-own) and removing the ALPS touchpad driver and using the standard driver instead doesn't fix the problem. The only option to stop the cursor form moving around on its own is to unable the touchpad.

4. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by FerdiH View Post
    Can you please make small test. Remove touchpad driver from the system and check how it works with “standard driver”. Please send us some feedback.
    I had the ALPS driver removed and it exhibits the same problem with the standard Microsoft PS2 driver.

I infer it's a hw problem, correct?

5. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Steeve, it sounds like we are having the exact same problem.
    There are a few things that I noticed and I was wondering if this also applies to you:
    (1) When the trackpad problem occurs, it significantly improves if I touch the frame of the laptop, especially the rubber feet etc (i.e., I release statics from the laptop)
    (2) I have 2 chargers: one european with a ground pin, and one american without connection to the ground. I have the feeling that the problem is more frequent with the charger that is not connected to the ground.
    (3) The severity of the trackpad issue depends on the type of table that the laptop is on. Wood and metal seem particularly bad. If I place a plastic sheet in-between, it gets better.

Have you noticed this too?

Thanks (and sorry if I seem to hijack your post)!

6. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    An update. Failing all driver alternatives and assuming that the problem might be hardware-related, the technician who is helping me on this issue has looked into other forums. Based on the information he has found, it seems that the problem might be traced to the AccuPoint (the small blue cursor at the center of the keyboard). Some user has disconnected in hardware.

Since I've never used the AccuPoint, we have disabled it in the ALPS driver, and since then (some 6 hours) the cursor has quitted moving autonomously.
    I am still crossing my fingers.

Seb 4333: I hope it works also for you!

An (un)related question: Toshiba customer service, in Italy, can only be reached via a charged phone call at 1,00 Euro/min. Is it reasonable? I tried nontheless and was held on hold for several minutes before I gave up...

7. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Thanks a lot Steeve - I disabled AccuPoint and the pointer has been 100% stable for the last 24h! It's a miracle.

That made the trick!

I have been looking for a solution to tis issue for the last 6 months and your technician found the solution way before Toshiba!
    I never use AccuPoint either.

I was wondering - did you also have your keyboard replaced at some point?

I am just wondering if the Accupoint issue is not related to me having the original azerty keyboard replaced by a US qwerty keyboard when I purchased the laptop (the new keyboard was installed by Toshiba).

Thank you so much!

8. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Well Seb, it's seems that we have got the fix for the problem!
    That was the only real problem I found with my Z30-A (it arose after a few months), and I hope to get along with it still for a long time.
    I am using the laptop with Window7 (I have also installed a sandboxed Linux), and I won't risk updating the OS.

No, I never had the keyboard replaced after purchasing the laptop.

However, my keyboard is not an US qwerty but a qwerty with accented vowels (as required by Italian language).
    It might still be a hw problem due to the interaction between the AccuPoint and the keyboard.

According to my technician, some users have opened the keyboard and disconnected the AccuPoint in hardware!

Good luck, and let's keep the finger crossed..

9. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Hello Steve,

Please share how did you manage to disable accupoint without disabling the trackpad?

TIA,
    Navin

>>

Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    Well Seb, it's seems that we have got the fix for the problem!
    That was the only real problem I found with my Z30-A (it arose after a few months), and I hope to get along with it still for a long time.
    I am using the laptop with Window7 (I have also installed a sandboxed Linux), and I won't risk updating the OS.

No, I never had the keyboard replaced after purchasing the laptop.

However, my keyboard is not an US qwerty but a qwerty with accented vowels (as required by Italian language).
    It might still be a hw problem due to the interaction between the AccuPoint and the keyboard.

According to my technician, some users have opened the keyboard and disconnected the AccuPoint in hardware!

Good luck, and let's keep the finger crossed..

10. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Dear friends

I am having the same issue with the AccuPoint but have been unable to disable it. Could you please tell me how did you disable the AccuPoint?

Thank you very much

11. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Hi friends. It was rather easy but it took me a while. Issue solved.

12. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Could anybody please tell me how to solve the sliding cursor problem on my Portege Z30?

13. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by querolus View Post
    Hi friends. It was rather easy but it took me a while. Issue solved.
    Hello, how did you manage to solve it?

14. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    For those of you that have Toshiba that's still under warranty, the customer service guys can replace the ribbon cable that connects the main board to the trackpad. The problem is a hardware issue, not a software one.

If you call disabling part of your laptop as a "fix", then go right ahead and turn off your trackpad.

15. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Hello,

I had the "mad cursor" as it describe here and this is how i could resolved it on Ubuntu Gnome 15.10.

1. Get xinput device id
    guy@nOMADE:~$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ TOSHIBA Web Camera - FHD id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Toshiba input device id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]

2. Disable device
    xinput disable 12

For a permanent change, make a script with the last command and make it launch at start-up

Hope it help Linux users

16. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    I've also got the Z30-A-19L and am growing tired of this problem. Running Linux Mint 18 with Ubuntu Kernel. So @toshiuser says it's a hardware problem? The ribbon cable to the trackpad? I'm convinced the problem comes from the Stick not the Pad as when I go xinput disable 12 the stick stops working and the otherwise intermittent self-moving mouse is never there. Unfortunately it also disables the two buttons above the trackpad making a plug-in mouse the only solution other than fighting the self-moving mouse with the stick which makes a game out of normal computer use..

Please help if anyone knows.. Can this ribbon cable be changed yourself, I think mine is out of warranty. Is there a way to disable the stick but keep the buttons working?

I can't find any further information about this potential hardware problem at this stage.

17. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Do you know possible similar prolem to the Z-C-138 model? I search around but don't find nothing. THANKS

18. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    <<<<gracie mille steeve, I fix the problem by disabled the accupoint, no more stress!

19. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by fredledragon View Post
    <<<<gracie mille steeve, I fix the problem by disabled the accupoint, no more stress!
    Please, everibody needs help about how to disconect by soft the accupont, can you explane how to disconect the accupoint?

20. Re: Portege Z30-A-191 - the cursor starts moving by itself
    Beginner
    My auto quote.
    To fix the problem just disconect by software the accupoint ( ruber ball in the keyboard ). To do this:
    Go to the touchpad icon in the system tray, double click and look for devices. In devices yo can see on the lesf Accupoint and touchpad on the right.
    Enable or disable checkbox touchpad as you desire and DISABLE the checkbox for the accupoint.
    Restart and try !

Thanks to the World for the NO explanes. World would be better if all help to anothers.

Greetings from Spain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast