Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P850 dead after Windows 10 clean installation, black screen.

1. Satellite P850 dead after Windows 10 clean installation, black screen.
    Beginner
    Hi folks,

I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite P850 laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 as the windows was showing me the icon that the update is available. Within or after the installation process, I saw a blue screen error message that 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you'. It was restarting itself, coming to the same blue screen and restarting time and again so I forced shut down it but after restarting after forced shut down, I have black screen, no display no BIOS function, F12, F10, F8, F2 none functional.

Does not do anything. Tried removing battery, pressing power button for some time and restarting but to no avail. Fan runs and I can see the power on light in the button and on the front but black screen.

Please help!

2. Re: Satellite P850 dead after Windows 10 clean installation, black screen.
    This happened to me, your computer isn't dead. (probably) The black screen is because of dual display. Hit tab and then enter your password when you see the mouse cursor. (or hit enter if you haven't set a password ) windows 10 is outputting to a display that doesn't exist because it can't get it's code around the idea of having 2 video cards. Sigh. Looking for the fix. At the moment this is the workaround.
    Good luck!

3. Re: Satellite P850 dead after Windows 10 clean installation, black screen.
    Beginner
    Boot in safe mode and disable the lock-screen with a reg file you can find via google.