Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege - Can't access BIOS after update

1. Portege - Can't access BIOS after update
    Beginner
    Folks,

I have been wrestling with this device for a while now and I seem to be progressively making the situation worse.

My current issue is that I can no longer access the BIOS after changing a setting in the BIOS that related to USB emulation (or something like that). I was in the process of trying to make the device boot from a USB and pretty much twiddling with every setting to see what would work.

This one didn't. And now the device no longer responds to F2. It's like it is ignoring the keyboard. Doh!

Is there some way to roll back or re-flash the BIOS? Or another way to access it? I tried an external keyboard, to no avail.

How did I get here?

Well ... I was given this device to put back to factory condition and I could not find an obvious option that would do this, other than the Toshiba Maintenance Utility which looked hopeful. It offered to erase the partition (which at the time seemed fair enough) - BUT THAT"S all it did - so the machine just repeatedly boots, displays "Please insert system disk" and then reboots.

OK, I'm an idiot - but it does seem silly for Toshiba to offer an option that instantly bricks the machine?

Anyway, I've moved on from that problem to one that is significantly more dire. Not being able to access the BIOS means I don't have any options - unless one of you wonderful people can help me discover one.

Help

I have since discovered that the next setting I was going to adjust - the Secure Boot setting - may have solved the problem - but now that F2 does not have any effect, so I can't "get in" to try it.

2. Re: Portege - Can't access BIOS after update
    Master
    Which notebook model do you have and which operating system do you use?

If you use Win8.1 you have access to some BIOS settings using settings in system settings. Check it out please.

3. Re: Portege - Can't access BIOS after update
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by xaver View Post
    Which notebook model do you have and which operating system do you use?

If you use Win8.1 you have access to some BIOS settings using settings in system settings. Check it out please.
    The device is a Toshiba Ultrabook Portege X10T. It used to have Windows 8 but it will not boot because the partition has been formated. As I mentioned, I need to get in to the BIOS to have it recognise a bootable USB ... but can't. F2 is not responsive. It was ... but now it's not.