Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue

1. Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Hello
    I have a toshiba portege z930 pt234e With Windows 7 Professional
    I connected the external optical drive and was running fine
    But when I installed the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator, the external optical drive disappeared
    When I open the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator, Shows, No HDD Recovery Area!
    I want to make a Recovery disk of the system

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.png   4.png   2.png   5.png  

2. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Hi

The Recovery Media Creator is an Toshiba tool which requires the Toshiba image files in order to create the recovery disk. The image files are placed on a different partition called HDD recovery partition.

If the HDD has been modified or this partition deleted, the recovery media creator will not be able to find the image files and you will not be able to create such disk.

So my question is: did you reinstall the Win 7 at your own hand? Did you modify the HDD in the past?

3. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Generally speaking original recovery image is saved on recovery partition (screenshot) or, on older machines, in separate folder saved in partition D.

This message will be shown if the recovery media creator is not able to find recovery data. Why is this message shown on your machine is pretty strange. Although the reason can be either partition deletion or changing the partitions structure on the HDD.

Can you please check if the recovery partition is listed in disc management?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recovery.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	178

4. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    This is partitions layout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-06-19_18-38-27.png  

5. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    The Recovery Media Creator does not require the external USB optical disk drive.
    You can also create the recovery medium using the USB flash memory stick…

But it looks like the Recovery Medium Creator software cannot find the recovery image files…
    But if the files are available on another partition then you could try this method to create a recovery medium:

How to create a USB recovery media flash drive from recovery ISO images- or discs (DVDs)

6. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    for
    a.) Preparing the USB flash drive
    I did it and succeeded

But
    b.) File copy procedure
    Did not work
    This code does not work
    "XCOPY d:\*.* y:\ /e/s/f"
    I changed d to y .. also did not succeed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-06-22_22-06-12.png  

7. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    There is a note:

d:\ is only a example for your ODD / Image drive letter !
    y:\ is only a example for the USB drive letter!

Please consider this!!! It could be possible that in your case the letters for ODD as well as USB drive are different!

But if you did it correctly and the files cannot be found then this means that the files are not available on the HDD…

8. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Yes I know what d:\ or y:\
    Can you write me y:/ with full code
    I want to USB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23.png  

9. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    Can you write me y:/ with full code
    The command line is the same as mentioned in the Toshiba step by step insruction.

You have only pay attention to the letters… if your CD/DVD drive and US flash memory stick were marked with different letters; you have to replace the letters in the command line…

10. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    I wrote XCOPY *.* y:\ /e/s/f
    and he copy all the contents of the computer, including my needs on the desktop on USB
    i want copy only my recovery on USB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24.png  

11. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    1.How can i get my serial number for my windows.
    2.you didn't answer me for the second question about fix the external optical drive

12. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    1.How can i get my serial number for my windows.
    Toshiba does not provide any serial keys… but you can order the recovery medium from Arvato service
    http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/

The recovery disk contains the Toshiba image which was preinstalled on your notebook and the system is already activated...

2. you didn't answer me for the second question about fix the external optical drive
    …when I installed the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator, the external optical drive disappeared
    Probably there was some conflict between the CD/DVD drive and the Toshiba Media Creator software. Try to uninstall this tool and check if your optical disk drive would be recognized again.

13. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    He asks me to pay 50 euros
    What benefit is it?

for the second problem
    when I uninstall the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Program, the external optical drive shows normal

14. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    What benefit is it?
    You can get the missing Recovery medium and you will be able to set the notebook back to factory settings…

for the second problem
    when I uninstall the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Program, the external optical drive shows normal
    So you’ve got the solution…
    I think that you have installed the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator which isn’t compatible with the Portege Z930 and external CD/DVD drive

15. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    I can do a factory reset
    I did two weeks ago and is working well
    But I can not take a copy of Recovery on a USB or DVD
    So is this will solve the problem for me and I can do Recovery?

>>

The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator
    I have downloaded from here

http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/dow...jsp?service=EU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25.png  

16. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    I can do a factory reset
    I did two weeks ago and is working well
    If you already recovered the notebook back to factory settings, Toshiba Recovery Media Creator should be already preinstalled on the notebook.
    It’s part of the Toshiba image and you don’t need to download and install this tools once again if its already installed!

17. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Is there a solution to my problems?
    1.I want to get a recovery on USB
    2.Toshiba Recovery Media Creator

18. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    Hi Nesseem

Could you provide some answers to my questions?

1) You recovered the notebook back to factory settings (as you mentioned in first post).
    How did you do that? Did you use HDD Recovery option?

2) If you recovered the notebook back to factory settings (I guess using HDD recovery), the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator should be already installed after recovery.
    In such case you don’t need to install the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator again.
    Could you confirm that this software is installed after recovery?

3) If you installed the new Windows system using other method (no recovery) you will NOT be able to use the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator software because this tool would not find the image files after the new, clean system installation. In such case you should use the method described in the doc: “How to create a USB recovery media flash drive from recovery ISO images- or discs (DVDs)”

19. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Could you provide some answers to my questions?

1) You recovered the notebook back to factory settings (as you mentioned in first post).
    How did you do that? Did you use HDD Recovery option?

2) If you recovered the notebook back to factory settings (I guess using HDD recovery), the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator should be already installed after recovery.
    In such case you don’t need to install the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator again.
    Could you confirm that this software is installed after recovery?

3) If you installed the new Windows system using other method (no recovery) you will NOT be able to use the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator software because this tool would not find the image files after the new, clean system installation. In such case you should use the method described in the doc: “How to create a USB recovery media flash drive from recovery ISO images- or discs (DVDs)”
    1. No
    2. The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator I cannot find it after recovery
    3. For Recovery I did like this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKlCIxnjfL8

For clarity
    I don't have HDD >> I have SSD
    My Device is Thosiba Portage Z930
    No HDD & No DVD
    I have External DVD

20. Re: Portege Z930 - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator issue
    Master
    I don't have HDD >> I have SSD
    Ok, thanks for clarification but SSD drive or HDD… its no matter… you know…

3. For Recovery I did like this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKlCIxnjfL8
    The video shows the recovery using the external optical disk drive… if you followed this recovery process, then you had used the Toshiba Recovery disk and you have set the notebook back to factory settings.

2. The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator I cannot find it after recovery
    Sorry mate but I’m quite sure that after notebook recovery, the Recovery Media Creator should be installed on the HDD… please double check this!