Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portégé Z30-A-1E1 - External monitor blacks out randomly

1. Portégé Z30-A-1E1 - External monitor blacks out randomly
    Very annoying problem - every now and then the monitor blacks out for 2 seconds and comes back.

Monitor is powered all the time.
    HDMI cable changed twice and does not solve the problem.

Seems like a change of resolution or a reset - can the problem be in the graphic card? Otherwise maybe the HDMI port itself detecting strange stuff?

Please help I'm getting crazy as I work 90% of the time on external monitor.

Thanks
    MAx

2. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Aficionado
    Two points would be interesting:

1) Notebook model/name
    2) Preinstalled system

Furthermore it would be interesting to know if whether the external monitor works properly in connection with another notebook…
    Please check it because it could be possible that your external monitor could be affected.

But if it’s not the external monitor issue, I would recommend you to reinstall the graphic card driver as well as to check the monitor functionality using different screen resolutions.

3. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Same problem here.

In my case, it is with a Portege Z30A-182 running under Win8.1 pro.

I have tried with two different external monitors (and cables) connected via HDMI to discard a problem with the monitor.

I have tried four different versions of the graphic card (Intel HD4400) driver:

No change.

In another forum (for Lenovo laptops, but using the same graphic card), I read something about changing refresh frequency from 59 to 60Hz.

No change.

Any new idea to try?

Thanks,
    A.

4. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Here I am back, back to square one....

Here details:
    1. Toshiba Portégé Z30-A-1E1 (top of the line, I thought problem was because of internal monitor high resolution full HD - PS: for Toshiba, this is too high for a 13' inch laptop and I don't like it at all!!)
    2. Windows 7 Professional

Latest news
    1. graphic card drivers updated
    2. monitor settings changed, almost tried all of them
    3. HDMI cable changed
    4. power plug changed
    5. tried 59Hz and 60Hz refresh rate - no change

I have no more ideas, but cannot believe to get a problem like this from Toshiba, which I loved all my life.

TOSHIBA PLEASE HELP!!!

5. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Some news (bad news):

Although I routinely use Windows 8.1 as my OS, recently I run a live Linux to backup the whole hard drive. It was only once but, while running under Linux, the monitor blanked as it does when running under Windows.

Even when it is possible that there is a problem with the drivers for both windows and linux, I bet it is a problem with the hardware

I will make some new tests and, if nothing changes, I will contact Toshiba support for repairing.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers
    A.

6. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Also an extra test from me.

I know tried using monitor with other computers, and different monitors with my computer - the problem persists.
    For what seen up to now only using 1920 resolution, which is today's 95% of monitors.

It is very annoying, I tried to rech Toshiba support in a few countries but nobody really replies to me - I am very disappointed by this service and how it is to get in touch, even once identified that the problem is serious.

7. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    PS: Anybody has an email address or phone number where Toshiba will actually reply?

8. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Umm, last trial: update of system BIOS.

I have just found a new BIOS was released on April 30th for my model and, why not, I have updated it.
    So far, so good, but let’s wait for a while…

maxruffo, have your tried to contact Toshiba via your local dealer?
    A.

9. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    New update...

I downloaded and installed new graphic card drivers from the Toshiba website - I basically forced install of older drivers, as the new one coming with the laptop were newer. PROBLEM PERSISTS.

I would love to try updating the BIOS but: (1) it is always a risk, and (2) I doubt not having the latest pre-install.

Local dealer where? I bought on Amazon Italy in order to have an Italian keyboard, but I am currently located in France. I tried contacting Toshiba Italy, Toshiba Europe and did not get through anybody.... I always bought Toshiba thinking of good support, but I am definitely changing my mind now and will start advising differently all people working with us.

If anybody has an idea on how to solve this problem please tell me, I have really no time to send back the laptop to a support centre.
    Thanks a lot.

PS: TOSHIBA WHY DON'T YOU MONITOR YOUR OWN FORUMS?

10. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Aficionado
    I would love to try updating the BIOS but: 1 it is always a risk, and 2 I doubt not having the latest pre-install.
    Is your BIOS up to date?
    The Toshiba EU driver page provides the latest BIOS for the Portege Z30-A PT243E series and its currently version 4.00-WIN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIOS-Z30-A.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	158

In case your BIOS isn’t up to date, you should update the BIOS and the BIOS is not risky if you would perform the update as recommended by Toshiba

11. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Hi again,

Updating of the BIOS didn’t help; the problem remains.

In another forum I read a thread about someone having problems with TPM security platform resulting in blanking monitor. I disabled TPM from BIOS but (as expected) it was useless.

Besides, this randomly blanking of the monitor is even more annoying since it occurs more frequently when you are more concentrated in your work.

Well, I have decided I have lost enough of my time and I will contact my local dealer tomorrow.

Maxruffo, you maybe already know this page, it redirects you to the local services of Toshiba in France. Hope it helps.

http://www.toshiba.fr/innovation/generic/ASP_SUPPORT/

Cheers
    A-

12. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    I would not want to deal with the French part as I bought the laptop from an Italian shop and in fact it has an Italian keyboard.

Still, Toshiba is a multinational and should be able to support Europe-wise and possibly in English. Now, how is it possible that IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTACT TOSHIBA??? We are working with these devices after all, and when you buy top-of-the-range €2000 computer you do not expect to have a problem and no way of being supported.

I feel desperate and I cannot believe that a company like Toshiba, that I used for 20 years, is getting this low. And that none of their employees monitors a technical forum where people like us spend time reporting their issues.

Maybe it is seriously time to move to the Apple dark side...... I really did not want to do so, but it appears that no other company in the world is actually able to do these little things right. :-(

13. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Quote Originally Posted by maxruffo View Post
    Maybe it is seriously time to move to the Apple dark side...... I really did not want to do so, but it appears that no other company in the world is actually able to do these little things right. :-(
    It takes strength to resist the dark side. Only the weak embrace it!
    It is more powerful than you know!

I would try the French service, Toshiba is an international company. If you have a problem with your Italian car in France you go to the French workshop...

14. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Quote Originally Posted by ammtosh View Post
    I would try the French service, Toshiba is an international company. If you have a problem with your Italian car in France you go to the French workshop...
    Yes maybe you are right. Still, annoying not being a fluent French speaker to have to deal with them.... and with 90% possibility that they'll say "if you bought in Italy you should talk to them". I'll try.

PS: another ridiculous thing: you buy a product that has a problem, and you need to pay to call the support service? Really not acceptable....

The dark side is strong.... actually, I start wondering which is the real dark side. Theory of relativity!

15. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    This is unbelievable!

Finally I get to talk by chat to a Toshiba representative about the issue, I point to this thread, he promise to contact me by phone and email, he never does, and he deletes the last few posts of this thread where I said that I cannot believe Toshiba is ignoring this forum and contact us to solve the problem????

Are we joking?

Toshiba I'm sorry but I thought - for 40 years of my life - tat you were much better than this. Ok now come over and delete this message instead of solving my screen problem!!!

A very disappointed customer.

PS: If you really don't solve my problem and delete this message, you are declaring a media war that will end up on newspaper - be aware!

16. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Aficionado
    Hi maxruffo

Sorry to hear that mate but to be honest I don’t understand the proceeding...

First of all you bought a product which is covered by warranty and in case the notebook would be affected by some hardware problems, the warranty would cover the fix…

But before talking about hardware malfunction, set the notebook back to factory settings using the Recovery procedure in order to check whether this issue would be related to software or hardware problems… you should do this because in case of software issue the ASP would charge you...

In case of hardware issue you should contact the Toshiba authorized service provider and the guys should be able to help you…

ammtosh has already posted a link to authorized service providers available worldwide…

17. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Hi Garrett,

I am definitely under warranty but cannot even make it work!

I bought on Amazon Italy and now am in France - I struggle communicating with the French side, and cannot call by phone the italian pay number. It should European level but it's EXTREMELY difficult to reach Toshiba in any country!
    Who can I talk to in Toshiba Europe-wise? Please let me know if you have the answer.

Regarding reset to factory - yes this has been done once. I'd really love to talk to anybody from Toshiba, get an exchange or anything but living with a new product with a problem is annoying. And having to get crazy trying to reach support is even worst!

Looking forward to your advise.
    Max

PS: Still, the deleting of some of the messages in this thread was rellllllllyyyy nasty! I'd have preferred a "sorry, we'll try to help you" or "we know about the problem and looking into a solution".

18. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Aficionado
    In each country you can find an ASP and the contact details.

The link to ASP locator (above) shows you ASP in France as well as in Italia.

But if you purchased the notebook in Italia and if you don’t have additional extended international warranty, you can fix your notebook only in Italia… you know…

If you would like to fix it France, the ASP would charge you because the standard warranty is valid only in the country where the unit has been purchased…

Check also the Toshiba webclaim website
    http://weblord.toshiba-tro.de/Webclaim/

19. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    In reality - at the best of my knowledge - the warranty should be European by law. Am I wrong?

20. Re: External monitor blacks out randomly
    Aficionado
    I think each country has own warranty legal standards…

Here you can find all the details regarding the Toshiba standard warranty:
    http://www.toshiba.eu/services/standard-warranty/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast