Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite M50-A - ELAN touchpad stopped working

1. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Master
    The more recent problem with the Elan touchpad definitely can't be resolved by pressing FN+F5
    Really?
    Did you check if the touchpad could not be enabled again (either in control Panel -> mouse or using function keys)?

2. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    Really?
    Did you check if the touchpad could not be enabled again (either in control Panel -> mouse or using function keys)?
    Yes. The function keys were the first thing I tried, closely followed by trying to re-enable the keyboard and touchpad in control panel

3. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Hi oyseon

Satellite M50-A-11n has the same problem today. no keypad
    sounds like toshiba have a large problem.

has anyone found solution yet. if so please let us know.
    its a massive problem for me. thanks mark

4. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    has anyone found solution yet. if so please let us know.
    Solution:

• Shut off the notebook
    • Connect external USB mouse
    • Boot up the notebook
    • Set the OS back to early time point (last Windows restore point)

then you could try to install the Windows updates but uncheck (don't install) the ELAN driver update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elan-touchpad-driver-update.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	122

5. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Hi,
    Same problem here with a M50-A-118

It's a really good publicity for Toshiba, I can say that ........ I've bought my laptop in a authorized dealer, I've paid for my windows copy, done all the updates, and what I see is a Ping-Pong game between Microsoft and Toshiba. I'm very pleased !

Thanks very much to you that came up with "workarounds", but it's not really nice to carry an extra keyboard plus a mouse !!!!!! I would prefer to see some fix released quickly from Toshiba.

6. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    @pedrosala
    and what I see is a Ping-Pong game between Microsoft and Toshiba
    ... I would prefer to see some fix released quickly from Toshiba.
    In my opinion this is not a Toshiba issue because the update was released by Microsoft via automatic update marked as “important update”!
    I guess not only Toshiba units were affected but probably notebooks from other manufacturers equipped with the same hardware parts and recieving this update.

You should also know that Toshiba releases own updates via Toshiba Service Station tool which is preinstalled on Toshiba notebooks.

My workaround posted above is a temporal workaround to get the touchpad working again until Microsoft would solve the issue (taking back the update???)…

7. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    I think the issue here is the ELAN keypad. I always had to reinstall, from the beginning, the driver from time to time but I could get it working again.....

I'm currently using an HP ( 5 years old + Linux ) to write to you and I'm considering ditching windows on my Toshiba.... So, I really don't give a dam if Toshiba, Microsoft or both will solve this issue. I'll just sit and wait ....

8. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    In my opinion this is not a Toshiba issue because the update was released by Microsoft via automatic update marked as “important update”!
    I guess not only Toshiba units were affected but probably notebooks from other manufacturers equipped with the same hardware parts and recieving this update.
    You should also know that Toshiba releases own updates via Toshiba Service Station tool which is preinstalled on Toshiba notebooks.
    Yes I know that ....

9. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    My workaround posted above is a temporal workaround to get the touchpad working again until Microsoft would solve the issue (taking back the update???)…
    JOE, TOSHIBA CUSTOMERS HAVE A MAJOR PRODUCT FAILURE. THE SOLUTIONS BEING SUGGESTED ARE NOT WORKING.

IT WOULD BE GOOD IF TOSHIBA DEMONSTRATED SOME ACTUAL CUSTOMER CARE. IT APPEARS THIS PROBLEM IS MASSIVE EFFECTING 100s PREHAPS 1000s OF CUSTOMERS.
    WE NEED ACTION AND A CLEAR FIX TO THE PRODUCT TOSHIBA HAVE SOLD.

10. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    hello guys ! , that's happen to me . what steps should i take to solve that problem ?

11. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by FPL2019 View Post
    JOE, TOSHIBA CUSTOMERS HAVE A MAJOR PRODUCT FAILURE. THE SOLUTIONS BEING SUGGESTED ARE NOT WORKING.

IT WOULD BE GOOD IF TOSHIBA DEMONSTRATED SOME ACTUAL CUSTOMER CARE. IT APPEARS THIS PROBLEM IS MASSIVE EFFECTING 100s PREHAPS 1000s OF CUSTOMERS.
    WE NEED ACTION AND A CLEAR FIX TO THE PRODUCT TOSHIBA HAVE SOLD.
    Give this man a cigar !!!!!

12. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Thanks Crummond, indeed it works,
    also same advise here http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboar...ing/m-p/650280

I experienced this nightmare for a second time today since my anti-virus did a software update, although windows update and driver update were disabled.

However I opted to go for playing with the Registry instead of re-installing all my programs after System restore / Refreshing the PC.

Can anybody more experienced tell me what the long term solution is?

Quote Originally Posted by crummond View Post
    This tip worked for me.

Found it on http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/64083...-touchpad-work

You need to start the On-Screen Keyboard
    If you can't write at the moment (no USB keyboard worked for me), just search for On-screen keyboard by copying the words from this page.

Then you need to start the registry editor, and as before you can copy regedit and search for it in Windows.

Backup or export the registry before doing any changes.

Navigate to this KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
    kbdclass
    If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out kbdclass. Click O.K. You may get a warning but accept that and move on.
    To fix the mouse follow this:
    Navigate the registry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
    mouclass
    If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out mouclass.
    Exit the registry and reboot. This restored keyboard and mouse function to the laptop.

Hope this will help!

13. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Crummond - I tried your fix but upon restarting, not only did the touchpad and keyboard not start working but the external mouse stopped responding too - so I now can't even get onto the login screen.

Can anyone help?

14. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by crummond View Post
    This tip worked for me.

Found it on http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/64083...-touchpad-work

You need to start the On-Screen Keyboard
    If you can't write at the moment (no USB keyboard worked for me), just search for On-screen keyboard by copying the words from this page.

Then you need to start the registry editor, and as before you can copy regedit and search for it in Windows.

Backup or export the registry before doing any changes.

Navigate to this KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

kbdclass
    If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out kbdclass. Click O.K. You may get a warning but accept that and move on.
    To fix the mouse follow this:
    Navigate the registry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

mouclass
    If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out mouclass.
    Exit the registry and reboot. This restored keyboard and mouse function to the laptop.

Hope this will help!
    well done and thank you very much

it worked well

i want translate it to turkish for my country

Message has been edited: non English part has been removed

15. Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Hi guys I'm writing my question here because I don't know how to use this website ,

I have a toshiba satellite M50-A-11c.
    It's in perfect condition until last night when I turned it on , only the standby screen came up with the time , it wouldn't let me proceed in anything so this morning I put in a mouse by USB and the laptop is working perfectly with the USB mouse but my keyboard and touch mouse on the laptop will not work at all

And it's not even my laptop
    Please help me

16. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    annie, have you read the thread? You need to do a system restore back to 21st May or earlier. And disable automatic updates for Microsoft updates.

17. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Hey Sam!
    Sorry to hear that It didn't work for you.
    It might get a little tricky to restore the registry as your external mouse don't work anymore.

A solution could be to create Hirens Boot CD on a USB-drive and start up from a different environment
    A guide how to create this, you can find at: http://www.broexperts.com/2014/02/ho...-bootable-usb/

Next step would be to start the computer and spamming the F12 button. Before this you need to power down and might need to hold down the powerbutton for 30 seconds to properly power down the computer.

From the Boot menu, select your USB-drive.

From here on you can follow the guide on this page (Method 2) up to and including step 5.
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-e...ng-in-windows/
    Now you need to find and change the values back to what you had before. This unfortunately I can't help you with, as I deleted the backup I made. Maybe someone else on this forum still remember or know what values were in there?

In the guide you found the keys under:
    UpperFilters
    and:
    UpperFilters

I can understand that this can be difficult and tedious and I hope I could help you further with your problem.

18. Re: Satellite M50-A - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Restore system and settings to previous update, around a week before, this should help. Don't forget to switch off automatic updates...

19. Re: Satellite M50-A - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Jeez ....my laptop has just went out of warranty and I took it back to Harvey Norman about this problem. They wanted 40 off me to refresh my machine which I told them no thanks I could do myself. Refreshed and its been fine for 2 days but an overnight update has brought the problem back. How do I turn the updates off please ? and thanks

20. Re: Satellite M50-A - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Master
    How do I turn the updates off please ?
    Windows 8/8.1 - Turn automatic updating on or off

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast