Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite M50-A - ELAN touchpad stopped working

1. Satellite M50-A - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Hi

My keyboard and touchpad stopped working out of nowhere (i think it was after windows updated???) and i can't seem to be able to fix it, i tried to reinstall the touchpad drivers and nothing changed, also i couldn't find the keyboard drivers.

is there anything someone can recommend me to do? I'm going insane with this laptop!

(The model is Satellite M50-A-118)

2. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Identical problem here. Satellite M50-A-11Q. Allowed windows update and touchpad and keyboard drivers are disabled.

Using an external mouse to access - currently doing a system restore to before the latest update. This looks like a fault at Microsoft's end.

Will update once I have a definite solution.

UPDATE: Restore has temporarily fixed the problem. Disabling windows update for the time being.

3. Re: keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    UPDATE: i did a system recovery and now everything is working, pretty sure that last windows update messed up with my laptop

4. Re: keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Same really annoying issue here. I have the model: Satellite m50- a-119

Really disappointed in windows....

Solution: System recovery and disable updates!!

5. Re: keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osyeon View Post
    UPDATE: i did a system recovery and now everything is working, pretty sure that last windows update messed up with my laptop
    Thanks for the feedback.

6. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Same problem. But i cant log in :/ any ideas ?

7. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by fearfree16 View Post
    Same problem. But i cant log in :/ any ideas ?
    An external (USB) mouse or keyboard will still work. If you only have an external mouse - you can use the accessibility options in the bottom left of the login screen to open up an onscreen keyboard - you can enter your password using that. From there, the system restore can be done using only the mouse.

If you don't have an external mouse, things get tricky.

Given that it is windows disabling the keyboard - the keyboard should be working before windows starts up (I can't test this at the moment). This may allow you to get into safe mode or the bios by holding the respective keys during startup.

The keyboard may work in windows safe mode - and you can start a system restore from there.

Or you can set the bios to boot from USB and start a restore or reset from a previously created restore disk/USB stick.

8. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Same for my M50-A-11Q yesterday.

As others have said, the cause is a recent update and the solution is to use an external mouse and onscreen keyboard to log in and kick off a restore - if you've got a suitable restore point.

Unfortunately my restore got messed up and I was left in a half restored state so I've done a full factory reset on it and have just finished installing the 100s of Windows updates. I was careful to do this in batches creating a restore point after each batch leaving the update I suspected to be the culprit till last. This was "Elan - Other hardware - ELAN Input Device. This was confirmed when the keyboard and touchpad stopped working again after that final update was applied - so I rolled back to the last restore point and all is now well.

Surprisingly Windows Update history still shows the ELAN update as a successful install despite the restore, but I suppose that means that it won't try and download/install it again and break my laptop.

9. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Same for me.
    Drivers uninstalled, reinstalled. only thing to do is to roll back to before the 2 "important updates" for ELAN were installed.
    Keyboard will work.
    Re-install the "important updates" and it wont.

Turn off updates and go to the pub until ELAN updates its obviously contaminated "important update".

10. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Same for me.
    Drivers uninstalled, reinstalled. only thing to do is to roll back to before the 2 "important updates" for ELAN were installed.
    Keyboard will work.
    Re-install the "important updates" and it wont.
    Turn off updates and go to the pub until ELAN updates its obviously contaminated "important update".

two Notebooks:

L55-B5276 updated fine
    E45t-A4100 the keyboard, touchpad, and even a plug in USB fails to work.

There were 12 optional updates this morning and none of them resolved the issue. As above, I went through the Toshiba troubleshooting steps. The guide said I need to send back for hardware repair, but rolling back the update is a temporary fix for me too.

Please update when there is a fix for the issue, I'm not comfortable disabling automatic updates for long.
    Thanks

11. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    There were 12 optional updates this morning and none of them resolved the issue. As above, I went through the Toshiba troubleshooting steps. The guide said I need to send back for hardware repair, but rolling back the update is a temporary fix for me too.

Hardware repair?
    So many machines all of a sudden after an update? Defo not.
    The keyboard and touchpad work if I restore my machine. What hardware needs fixing?

Would rather install Fedora and run my Toshiba virtually.
    Some clown has released this without testing as usual due to the dreaded Deadline!! Fire him, fix the update properly and we'll be back to normal and loving our Toshibas before you can say, "Don't do this again please ELAN".

Also, chose which updates you want to install, just ignore Elan updates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	120

12. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Hardware repair? So many machines all of a sudden after an update? Defo not. The keyboard and touchpad work if I restore my machine. What hardware needs fixing?
    Would rather install Fedora and run my Toshiba virtually.
    Some clown has released this without testing as usual due to the dreaded Deadline!! Fire him, fix the update properly and we'll be back to normal and loving our Toshibas before you can say, "Don't do this again please ELAN".

Also, chose which updates you want to install, just ignore Elan updates.
    Larry,
    I'm pretty sure that is just the default answer when the options in their troubleshooting script just fail. I'm hopeful the 'service station' app from Toshiba will come up with a solution to roll out. Isn't it wonderful that Microsoft puts out an update before the holiday weekend

13. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Microsoft are too kind. Their way of forcing us outside to enjoy the erm, sun.

14. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    This tip worked for me.

Found it on http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/64083...-touchpad-work

You need to start the On-Screen Keyboard
    If you can't write at the moment (no USB keyboard worked for me), just search for On-screen keyboard by copying the words from this page.

Then you need to start the registry editor, and as before you can copy regedit and search for it in Windows.

Backup or export the registry before doing any changes.

Navigate to this KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
    kbdclass
    If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out kbdclass. Click O.K. You may get a warning but accept that and move on.
    To fix the mouse follow this:
    Navigate the registry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
    mouclass
    If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out mouclass.
    Exit the registry and reboot. This restored keyboard and mouse function to the laptop.

Hope this will help!

15. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Problem is indeed software due to recent update via Windows, not hardware. Factory reset may not be necessary, for me Refreshing the PC worked just fine ( you loose your programs but not files). However it was difficult to get to the Repair mode due to the fact that after using USB mouse and attempting System restore, my USB ports no longer worked. Thanks to my cousin who played with BIOS (F12 during boot) and changing the boot from UEFI to CMS and then something else with F10 key, we were able to get to the Repair mode before Windows boot.

Besides carefully checking and not allowing any updates from ELAN, you better disable Windows automatic driver update as well from the Device Installation Settings in System.

Let us see the response from Toshiba as this is really annoying and damaging the brand to work with such OEM. 1 day lost solving this, thanks to all contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by damo44 View Post
    Same for my M50-A-11Q yesterday.

As others have said, the cause is a recent update and the solution is to use an external mouse and onscreen keyboard to log in and kick off a restore - if you've got a suitable restore point.

Unfortunately my restore got messed up and I was left in a half restored state so I've done a full factory reset on it and have just finished installing the 100s of Windows updates. I was careful to do this in batches creating a restore point after each batch leaving the update I suspected to be the culprit till last. This was "Elan - Other hardware - ELAN Input Device. This was confirmed when the keyboard and touchpad stopped working again after that final update was applied - so I rolled back to the last restore point and all is now well.

Surprisingly Windows Update history still shows the ELAN update as a successful install despite the restore, but I suppose that means that it won't try and download/install it again and break my laptop.

16. Satellite M50-A-11E Neither the keyboard nor the mouse works
    Hello!

Since two days ago, neither the keyboard nor the mouse of my computer works. I have proved to reset the laptop supporting touched the power key and it has not worked.

I can't remove the battery because in this model it is integrated.

Any solution?

17. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticKnotwork View Post
    Isn't it wonderful that Microsoft puts out an update before the holiday weekend
    To be fair to Microsoft, apart from hosting the update via their Windows Update service it's not a lot to do with them - I think the responsibility lies elsewhere.

I don't know whether
    1) it's ELAN Microelectronics who should test that their updates work with all the laptop manufacturers who use their touchpad hardware (e.g. Toshiba) or
    2) whether the onus is on those 3rd parties (e.g. Toshiba) to test that it works before it's released to MS Update. Perhaps someone working in the hardware/software supply chain could comment

18. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - keyboard and touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by Sando View Post
    Let us see the response from Toshiba as this is really annoying and damaging the brand to work with such OEM. 1 day lost solving this, thanks to all contributors.
    I agree that it has been a big problem for those of us affected by this. One point however - like many of us in this thread I'm new to the Toshiba forum so I don't know if Toshiba officially read this forum, So whether it gets acted on (or reported to ELAN) is a bit of a mystery to me.

Perhaps one of the ore experienced forum members can advise whether Toshiba take on board faults discussed on this forum and if not what is the best route to report it - is it via Toshiba or Elan?

19. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Master
    It seems that some of the Microsoft Windows updates mess up touchpad driver.
    But according to the Toshiba technical support bulletin document, the touchpad was disabled only and using the function keys it should be possible to enable the touchpad once again.

Touchpad is not working anymore after Windows Update

20. Re: Satellite M50-A-118 - ELAN touchpad stopped working
    Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    It seems that some of the Microsoft Windows updates mess up touchpad driver.
    But according to the Toshiba technical support bulletin document, the touchpad was disabled only and using the function keys it should be possible to enable the touchpad once again
    That support document is dated 25 March and refers to a Synaptics touchpad. The more recent problem with the Elan touchpad definitely can't be resolved by pressing FN+F5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast