Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working

1. Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    I have a Toshiba Satellite U50T-A-10F which did the usual turn off and update last night however when I turned it back on the scroll mouse and keyboard won't work I managed to get in on because the touchscreen is still working but does anyone know why it would of updated then won't work?

Tried phoning support but only open Monday to Friday, I did take out extended warranty thank god!

2. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    Having the exact same problem here, having to type on the touch screen as my keyboard and mouse have suddenly stopped working. Very annoying as I really need to use my laptop at the moment. Any suggestions on how to fix it are very much welcomed.

3. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    I've been having a look around on these forums and everyone seems to think it was the update and they've done system restore and it's working again, I'm trying restore now for the second time as it failed the first time but maybe try that?

4. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and mouse part not working
    Also Having this issue. If anyone finds a solution please post. My laptop is a Satellite U50t-A-014.

5. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyF View Post
    Also Having this issue. If anyone finds a solution please post. My laptop is a Satellite U50t-A-014.
    Hi guys im the one who started the post, i've done some research and it IS the update it installed, system restore to before the update (took me 3 tries before it would work and properly restore) then the mouse and keyboard works again.

Hopefully they fix this soon so we can re update because mine wants to automatically update again but i know it'll break my laptop

FINALLY FIXED IT YAYYYYY

6. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and mouse part not working
    Ditto for me I have redone a restoration of the system and I have disable the updates udapte windows and I cross my fingers ca heureseument works for now I have a mouse hand ca m're allowed to activate the virtual keyboard to be able to access Office pfff it's been 2 years since I have my pc never had this problem at the time of ca falls a long weekend ...... hoping that he quickly found the solution

Message has been translated

7. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and mouse part not working
    I have the same problem, but for some reason system restore isn't working either. Husband thinks the registry has been damaged. We've tried system restore over 5 times already. Very very hacked off - what are Toshiba doing releasing updates that damage their machines?

8. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and mouse part not working
    OK, so I managed a system restore in the end, and everything worked. Then I reinstalled what I thought were properly tested Windows updates, and the system is f.ucked again. WHY DON'T YOU TEST THESE UPDATES BEFORE RELEASING THEM???

At least it's now conclusively proved that it is the microsoft updates which are causing this problem. And that MS and Toshiba between them release updates which are incompatible with our machines.

Can you tell I'm slightly fed up?

9. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    We have now identified which update (on the MS updates site) we think has caused the problem. It has ELAN in the title, and is in optional updates. AVOID AVOID!

On reflection I may have been too harsh on Toshiba - perhaps the updates site has been hacked? Can Toshiba reassure us that they test updates?

10. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    I wishes to thank you thanks to you all works again normally I have to reactivate Windows updates udapte except I decided the updates I want to download and I unchecked the update SERVICES ELAN which is important but which locks the keyboard. SEEK ERROR ...... .....

Mesasge has been translated

11. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    Master
    According to the Toshiba technical support bulletin document, the touchpad might be disabled only and using the function keys it should be possible to enable the touchpad once again.
    Touchpad is not working anymore after Windows Update

12. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    Technical support are wrong, though. You have to uninstall the update.

And for clarification, the update is (was) shown as an important update.

13. Re: Satellite U50T-A-10F - keyboard and ELAN touchpad not working
    The issue has been already discussed in another thread:
    https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?82754

The temporal solutions:
    • Shut off the notebook
    • Connect external USB mouse
    • Boot up the notebook
    • Set the OS back to early time point (last Windows restore point)

After that you can install the Windows updates but uncheck (don't install) the ELAN driver update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elan-touchpad-driver-update.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	124