Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?

1. Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    I'll be attempting to run Linux on my Click Mini.

I wondered if anyone else had made an attempt?
    Perhaps we could share progress here?

I tried the Magic Stick for the Asus T100TA in the hope it would give me a head start,
    it started to boot but screen went blank and it became unresponsives.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/wind...stick-t3091481

I'll be trying Fedlet next:
    https://www.happyassassin.net/fedlet...trail-tablets/

2. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    OK, the good news first, Fedlet boots (copy the ISO to a USB stick (the raw device, not to partition 1). It comes up with a graphical desktop.

The bad news. There's no mouse pointer, and keyboard is unresponsive - can't do CTRL-ALT-F1 for example.

The good news. I borrowed a USB hub + ethernet combo, and Fedlet activated the hub and sent DHCP requests. I connected a USB keyboard and was able to do CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to character console, then tried installing openssh-server. It locked up solid soon after, so I didn't get as far as trying to ssh in.

3. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    I ẃas able to connect a USB keyboard and mouse and everything worked.. slowly.. but the flash drive I am using is cheap and slow. i was able to ssh in and gather hardware information.

4. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Beginner
    How did you get it to boot? Did you disable secure boot?

Im trying to get archlinux installed, but when I choose the USB boot option the screen goes black for a few seconds then windows boots as normal.

5. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    I think I disabled secure boot, in the UEFI setup - ideally leave it active.

You have to disable fast boot option, find it in the windows power advanced option, so that you can fully shutdown the device.

When you power it up start hitting F12 (fn N) and you'll get a boot menu with the USB drive listed.

I got as far as trying to install Fedlet, didn't succeed yet

I used this command:
    anaconda –nodmraid –nompath –liveinst –method=livecd:///dev/mapper/live-base

in disk partitioner, I used standard partitions not LVM. You delete partition 4 and then add a 3.8G root as p4, then a swap partition as p5. Mount the first partition - do not format - as /boot/efi

6. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Beginner
    I managed to get debian 8 to install. I've tried arch, ubuntu and fedora, but only debian works.

The wifi and keyboard doesn't work and the screen switches off and on sometimes. I'll try some more tomorrow with usb ethernet.

7. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    brilliant news.

I've found that Fedlet gets into a bad state and the CPU runs flat out on Xorg. It's taken a few attempts to get installation to complete.

There are drivers for the WiFi, which appears to be a Realtek SDIO device.

I've found that the touchscreen works with Fedlet, keyboard doesn't, I suspect it's an I2C device just like the touchscreen.

I've not had too many problems with the screen blanking - backlight stays on - but if it does it can be hard to wake it up.

edit: installation very nearly finished - writing system configuration... screen timed out, and USB mouse and keyboard got powered down. Since I booted off a USB thumb drive, it's probably caused linux to panic/crash. sigh.

8. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    oh, I meant brilliant news about getting debian 8 to install. Can you say whether you installed 64 or 32 bit Debian?

sigh. fedlet kernel panicked on boot.

so I tried 32 bit debian and it wasn't able to set up booting, I was able to complete installation but not be able to boot into Linux.

then I found that Windows wouldn't boot, and using recovery (thankfully I verified my recovery backup!) didn't fix it so I had to completely wipe and reinstall windows :-(

thanks

9. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Beginner
    I used the 32bit version. Strange that it didn't work for you.

10. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    I'll give it another go, before I spend any time setting up Windows the way I like it.

11. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    I found an interesting post about not being able to use Ubuntu 15.04 because you have to use an older kernel.

http://sturmflut.github.io/linux/ubu...ets-version-2/

I also noticed that the Intel HDMI stick has a very similar architecture ( http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ute-stick.html ) sadly Intel haven't provided a downloadable image of Ubuntu for it.

12. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    So I tried again to install debian 8 i386, it looked pretty much the same as before - it detected the first partition was EFI appropriately. I deleted the recovery partition and set up linux to use 3.5G of it as ext4, and the rest as swap. I didn't do anything clever at all, apart from partitioning accepted all the defaults.

And this is the result when I try and start up, no boot menu, goes straight to Windows start failure:

One thing I did notice during install is that the microSD slot wasn't visible at all.

I am using a Zalman virtual optical drive and am not seeing anything unusual due to its use, and I've used it a lot without problems.

13. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Beginner
    I installed from an usb thumbdrive, but I dont thing it should matter.

I shrunk the windows partition and created a new partition for debian. I didn't touch the recovery partition.

14. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    Ah, interesting, thanks for responding.

I tried various boot fix problems, and rEFind* discovered Debian and was able to boot it. Well, it got to where systemd failed to start the logind service. But that's another problem.
    rEFind also found Windows and this brought up that error previously seen.

Since you say Debian worked for you and you didn't delete the recovery partition, I would guess that the recovery partition must actually play an active part in the operation of Windows.

* http://sourceforge.net/projects/refi...e=typ_redirect

15. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    Ok, a bit of research explains this. The recovery partition serves two purposes, it contains the core of Windows 8.1 along with the recovery and installer tools and images. When booted it either loads the self-contained tools or it goes on to load Windows from the main partition. This uses WIMboot, a bunch of compressed images, which saves disk space. This is how the Click Mini has a C: drive of just 27G and yet still has 17GB free, because big chunks of the OS are in the recovery partition.

http://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2014/...-boot-wimboot/

16. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Beginner
    Got some good news!

I've managed to get archlinux running by creating a tarball of a full installation and unpacking it on my linux partition from the debian rescue shell. And then manuall installing refind from windows. The screen doesn't blank out like it does in debian, probably due to the newer kernel.

And when i try the 4.1-rc2 kernel the keyboards/touchpad starts to work!

17. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    excellent news. so it should be possible to install Arch into a VM, tar it up and put it on the microSD card, then boot Debian in rescue mode and unpack Arch.

18. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Beginner
    I put up the tarball I used on http://miffe.org/l9w-b/

The boot.zip file should be unpacked to the EFI boot partition in windows and the refindia32.efi be added to the EFI bootlist with EasyUEFI.

Arch packages for the 4.1-rc3 kernel can be found at https://arch.miffe.org/

19. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    meanwhile, I am trying to install Debian again. This time, like you, I simply shrank Windows down to make space, rather than destroy the recovery partition which is slightly vital to Windows ;-)

20. Re: Linux on Satellite Click Mini L9W - any experience?
    Enthusiast
    thanks for posting the arch tar.xz image. I'll give that a go if my own doesn't work. Did you use 64 or 32 bit Arch?

Debian installed but had problems setting up boot. As before it discovered the EFI partition but didn't do the right thing.

At least Windows isn't broken now, am using it now.

BTW, when running debian, I noticed I can't see the SDHC card. Is it working for you?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast