Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C55-A-1R8 - Touchpad interference issue

1. Satellite C55-A-1R8 - Touchpad interference issue
    Beginner
    I have Satellite C55-A-1R8, using Windows 8.1.
    The Synaptics touchpad has always given some unpredictable results, whatever setings I have used or cancelled.

For example, it suddeny loses the ability to receive a double click, even though the icon still has 'tap to click' ticked; when I do click it, the cursor flies off into the top right corner of the screen and is difficult to control again.

The buttons continue to work normally, though, But if I sleep or hibernate the computer things are normal again immediately it wakes.
    Also, the pad often picks up and moves icons/files without double clicking. I installed the most recent Synaptics driver update, but no change.

However, I am told that the casework on this model is so thin that fingers resting on it below the keyboard can interfere with the touchpad commands, and am beginning to suspect that this might be the reason for some of the odd behaviour.

If it is, can I insulate it with anything to prevent this happening?

2. Re: Satellite C55-A-1R8 - Touchpad interference issue
    Master
    Have you tried to reduce mouse sensitivity?

Since when have you noticed such strange touchpad behaviour? From the first day maybe?

I don't think it is the best solution for you but maybe you should reinstall operating system using original recovery image and test he touchpad functionality with “factory settings”.
    If the problem persists it could be some hardware related issue so you can contact nearest Toshiba service provider and ask for help.

3. Re: Satellite C55-A-1R8 - Touchpad interference issue
    Beginner
    Thanks for your interest.

Yes, I have varied the touch sensitivity and also the gesture options. And I suspected a problem from when the laptop was new, but I had moved up from XP to Windows 8.1, which I found very confusing for a long while.

And the machine itself feels very different from the firmer keys of my previous (HP) model which did not permit 'touchscreen-type' features on the touchpad.

For a long time I thought it was me! Then that it might be some kind of clash between the system software and one of the programs I had installed. And for a while it appeared to happen only when I was online; but a week away from any possible wifi connection was not entirely problem-free.

The trouble is that this cursor problem is completely unpredictable, and I can't induce it at will!
    I tried insulating the casework with bubblewrap, had no repetition of the problem for over a week, then it started to happen again.

I think the factory settings might be the only way forward - at least I now have a better idea of how 8.1 works.