Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z series - mouse cursor moves on its own

1. Portege Z series - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    When I start my Portege Z series the mouse cursor moves by its own. Alfer several minutes (less than one hour) it stops and it works properly.
    For your information on the Notebook the Antivirus is installed and updated: AVIRA and Spybot

What I've already tried to resolve the problem:
    1) I've downloaded and installed the last version of the driver ALPS pointer device even thus the same versione was already installed. No results, same behaviour
    2) I've tried with an external USB mouse, deactivating touchpad/pointing stick. No results, same behaviour

Any suggestions, please?
    Thanks in advance

2. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Maybe you could try to boot with a Live CD/USB Stick. If this issue also happens with the Live OS the issue is notebook related. If not, it´s a Windows issue and maybe a recovery would solve the problem.

3. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    I have the same issue with my Portege Z30A bought only a few months ago. The only difference is that on mine the pointer seems stable for the first 10 min and then it starts moving on its own at variable speed. I also installed the latest Alps driver from the Toshiba website but this didn’t fix the issue. I tried with (a) the Alps driver
    available on Toshiba, and (2) the generic PS/2 compatible driver from Windows and the problem occurs with both drivers.What I ended up doing was uninstalling the driver all together and setting windows to “do not install driver automatically”. Now I can use the laptop with an external mouse.

The problem started several weeks ago but back then it was very mild (cursor moving very little and only 5% of the time). It got worse with time. I also noticed that the problem seems to depend on what the laptop is sitting on (wood, plastic, metal) and on the amount of statics around the touchpad. If I touch the metal around the touchpad for a few seconds the problem generally disappears. This makes me think that it is a hardware issue. I've contacted Toshiba warranty about this but then want me to reinstall windows first (of course it's never their fault ...).

I have also noticed that if I uninstall the Alps driver completely and then let windows reinstall the PS2 driver, I get the blue screen of death. I tried twice with the same results.
    Last edited by seb3343; 31.05.2015 at 08:38. Reason: adding details

4. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    I cannot try with a Windows Live stick as mentioned above because I am using Win7 ... Windows Live is apparently only for Win8.

5. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by seb3343 View Post
    I have the same issue with my Portege Z30A bought only a few months ago. The only difference is that on mine the pointer seems stable for the first 10 min and then it starts moving on its own at variable speed. I also installed the latest Alps driver from the Toshiba website but this didn’t fix the issue. I tried with (a) the Alps driver
    available on Toshiba, and (2) the generic PS/2 compatible driver from Windows and the problem occurs with both drivers.What I ended up doing was uninstalling the driver all together and setting windows to “do not install driver automatically”. Now I can use the laptop with an external mouse.
    I also encounter this issue with my Portege Z30-A. I did the same stuff - din't work. I also suspect some hardware issue with the surface of the area to the left of the touchpad. Sometimes I was able to stop the movement of the curser by htting or pressing the surface of the laptop there... Very strange - and annoying.

I did contact Toshiba on the issue and asked for a solution. Will report back once I get an answer.

Good luck,

Wolfgang

6. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    I have the same problem with the same laptop. I found out that the problem only appears when working with laptop on my legs, when wearing a metallic belt on my trousers. So I suppose this is some design flaw. The strange thing is that the problem appears even if the touchpad is disabled. The problem typically disappears if you press the metal around the touchpad hard enough.

7. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    It happens the same to me... has anybody found any solution?

8. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by querolus View Post
    It happens the same to me... has anybody found any solution?
    Yes, you have to disable the trackpoint (that blue dot). You wont be able to use it and the two buttons above the touchpad.

9. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    We had this problem with one of the Z30 in the fleet, around 2 years old. We noticed that some of the screws were loose on the underside of the case.

Also, the problem seems to be related to the pressure on the laptop from the sides and below the trackpoint. If you flex the base gently the mouse goes crazy, but if it is left on the table alone it is likely to be ok.

Heat will put pressure on the case over time and that is why I think it can be an intermittent problem for some people.

Anyway, I am looking to have this one repaired under warranty when I can get it off the user. I have just now tried disabling the trackpoint, so we will see if that makes any difference also - I don't know if the false signal is from this or the trackpad.

10. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by svobora View Post
    Yes, you have to disable the trackpoint (that blue dot). You wont be able to use it and the two buttons above the touchpad.
    Hello,

how to disable the trackpoint? I have Windows 10 and my laptop is a Portège Z30 A-1E1.

I am facing with the same problems...

Thank you

11. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_it View Post
    Hello,

how to disable the trackpoint? I have Windows 10 and my laptop is a Portège Z30 A-1E1.

I am facing with the same problems...

Thank you
    It is a few months ago, and I don't have the laptop in front of me at the moment (and my laptop is Windows 7) BUT I think it is simply a checkbox somewhere in the mouse control panel. Type "mouse" in the start menu, then open the control panel. Explore the tabs, I think there is one for the trackpad. Good luck!

12. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have a Protege Z30t and just had the Toshi service guy come in to fix the problem.

Turns out that the connector between the main board and the trackpad will get crimped over time.

If your toshi is still under warranty, I would suggest you get them to come in to replace it (They have a replacement part that is suppose to be more durable).

Good luck!

13. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    Same laptop, same problem. Actually, two laptops Portegé Z30-A, both experiencing occasionally the same problem. It seems to be related to the surface, and it goes and come back randomly... very very very annoying. Tried many fixes and half of them works temporarily, but no definitive solution... If it's hardware it is a very serious flaws, given that it happens to almost everyone I know with this computer.

14. Re: Portege Z - mouse cursor moves on its own
    Beginner
    It doesn't seem to be an hardware problem, because when I enter bios through Windows 10, the pointer works perfectly.
    It's still strange, because the erratic behaviour seems to depend on the surface where I place the laptop, so static energy seems to be one potential cause.
    I have been through 1000 forums over the last year (as the problem appears and disappears over time) and no one seems to have found the final solution.

What would be useful is at least a Windows 10 driver where it is possible to disable the Touchpad and/or the Accupoint, I do not seem to be able to do this right now.