Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?

1. Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?
    Beginner
    Hallo!

I saw in a Youtube Video, that the SSDs that come as standard are mSATA ones and that there's space for a 2.5'' drive beneath.

So my question is: If I buy a Toshiba Tecra Z50-A-12R, which comes with a 500GB HDD, can I install an additional mSATA SSD as my system drive and use the 500GB HDD as a second drive?

Thanks
    Martin

2. Re: Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?
    Master
    Well, some models are are equipped with an mSATA Solid State Drive (SSD) instead of a
    hard disk drive. The computer seems to supports a 128GB, 256GB and 512GB SSD drives…

but as far as I know there is only one SATA controller in order to connect SSD or an HDD.
    The mSATA SSD drive is connected to the controller using mSATA HOLDER ASSY.

So such holder assy is needed if you want to use an mSATA SSD drive.
    Of course, you don’t need it if you use common 2.5” SSD drive or 2.5” HDD

3. Re: Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?
    Beginner
    By the way, this is the video I saw it in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQmxmRCp64

OK, if I understand correctly you say that it isn't possible to use both because there's only one SATA controller? I only saw in the video that there might be enough space to put in both but I have no idea what else would be needed to run them both...

4. Re: Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?
    Master
    Exactly; there is no additional space and connector for mSATA SSD and HDD but you can use either mSATA SSD drive or 2.5” SSD or 2.5” HDD

5. Re: Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?
    Beginner
    That's a shame...

In my Lenov T60 I have a 2.5'' SSD and thanks to Ultrabay I can easily swap out the disc drive for a carrier with a 2.5'' HDD. That's a very nice setup.

I can very well live with the absence of a disc drive in many of the recent notebooks but it really bugs me that most of them won't offer the possibility of installing a second drive.

Those mSATA SSDs really don't take up much space and in the case of the Tecra Z50 - which is otherwise so nicely equipped - it really hurts!

6. Re: Tecra Z50 - mSATA SDD + 2.5'' HDD?
    Beginner
    That's a shame...

Thanks to Ultrabay I can easily swap out the DVD drive for a carrier with a 2.5'' HDD on my Lenovo T60. That's a very nice setup.

While I can live with the absence of a DVD drive on most recent laptops it really bugs me that the majority of them doesn't offer the possibility of installing a second HDD/SSD. A mSATA slot in addition to a 2.5'' slot really wouldn't take up too much space and in case of the otherwise so extremely nicely equipped Tecra Z50 I really miss it!!

I still consider getting a Tecra Z50 but this makes the decision very hard.