Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660-18C HDD missing from BIOS

1. Satellite C660-18C HDD missing from BIOS
    Beginner
    I have a strange problem with a Satellite C660-18C, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

This is a friend's laptop that crashed a little while ago. He appears to have tried to reinstall an operating system, although not using the recovery media, which he never made when the notebook was new. He has not managed to do this, so asked me to take a look.

The hard disk is still the original Toshiba disk that shipped with the laptop, although it has been removed and replaced. This was done to do some basic testing on the hard disk, which showed no errors.

If you boot the laptop from a USB stick with a Windows 7 Pro installation image, you get as far as choosing a partition to install Windows on to. It shows "Disk 0 Unallocated Space 232.9GB"

However, it reports "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I have looked in the Bios and I can see no trace of the hard disk. For instance, if you look under "Boot", this list only shows, CD/DVD, FDD, LAN and USB.

It seems to make no difference whether the SATA mode is set to "AHCI" or "Compatibility"

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite C660-18C HDD missing from BIOS
    Master
    Usually good working HDD should be listed in BIOS (first BIOS page).
    There you should see the HDD name and the size.

If first BIOS page does not provide any details about the HDD, then the HDD was not recognized by BIOS and in most cases this means that the HDD is faulty.

If you are 100% sure that this HDD isn’t faulty (for example it works in connection with another notebook), then an HDD controller malfunction could cause the problem…

But I guess it’s an HDD issue…

3. Re: Satellite C660-18C HDD missing from BIOS
    Beginner
    Thanks for the reply.

I would normally make the same diagnosis but this is very strange.

The hard disk in this laptop did not appear in the BIOS, but a Windows installation would see the disk and install to it, and then not boot. The disk could be seen using a SATA controller on a normal PC.

In the end we replaced the disk because we ran out of other options and the new disk does appear in the BIOS, so it must have been the disk in some sense. I still do not understand how the BIOS could not see the disk, but Windows could install to it.

For our next problem, the new disk uses AFT disk technology which appears not to work in this laptop. Using a blank, new hard disk and the correct Toshiba recovery disk, the laptop will install Windows but then has all sorts of issues with drivers, Windows update and so on. The BIOS has been updated to the latest available with no difference.

It is a problem reported elsewhere on here, but I can not find a definitive fix.

Does anyone have any ideas?

4. Re: Satellite C660-18C HDD missing from BIOS
    Beginner
    For completeness I thought I had better reply to my own post...

The final problem I was facing is one that is often reported in relation to restoring older Toshiba laptops using recovery media and modern replacement HDDs which use AFT. By default this does not work, resulting in lots of driver issues, failure in Windows update and so on.

There are lots of useful suggestions in this thread in another Toshiba forum for anyone looking:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/After-Restoring-to-New-Hard-Disk-No-Windows-Update-a-Fix/td-p/215710/page/9

In my case I tried a number of the suggestions, such as updating the Intel drivers, installing Windows patches and so on. Nothing worked.

The only solution that worked for me was to switch the SATA mode to "Compatibility" in the BIOS. This needs to be done before the recovery is run; changing this after installing Windows will not work.

Doing a clean install from the recovery media to an AFT drive in cmpatibility mode works perfectly and works first time.

I hope that helps someone.

5. Re: Satellite C660-18C HDD missing from BIOS
    Master
    Thanks andy for sharing this info with us!