Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor

1. Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have a Portege Z30-A-183.
    First I used it with W7 and I saved 3 fingers in the biometric finger sensor .

After that I updated to W8.1 but I didn't deleted the data of the scanned fingers.

In W8.1 I haved triy to save again the data of my fingers but the software said that it is not possible beacause in the memory of the sensor are the data of my fingers.

I haved read that these data are in a non volatile memory on the sensor.

How I can erase this data?

Thanks

2. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Master
    Hi

Yes the fingerprint information is not saved on the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) of your computer but on the certain chip.

Usually the fingerprint has to be removed using the Fingerprint Utility but if this will not work after the new OS installation, I would recommend you to go back to the previous state before changing the system and to use the fingerprint software which was used for fingerprint registration.

Details here:
    http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/386

But in case the fingerprint would not work even using the Win 7 version, I think that only Toshiba authorized service provider would be able to delete the already registered fingerprints.

3. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Beginner
    Hi thanks for the answer. I think that to come back to the previous state (W7 with my data) it is not posible.
    I have make a copy of the system in a USB pen using the Toshiba Recovery media creator software, but I not sure if it is a general copy of the OS or a copy with my data.
    Do tou now?

Thanks again

4. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Master
    Toshiba Recovery Media Creator software created an bootable recovery medium (in this case USB flash memory stick).
    Using such recovery medium will set the notebook back to factory settings… to the same state like at the first day of purchase…
    Your HDD will be formatted firstly and everything will be installed once again… but you will lose your personal data…

5. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Beginner
    Ok, so It is not possible to erase the data of my fingers scanned in the memory of the Finger sensors?

Thanks for your help

6. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Master
    As i said above: if it will not be possible to delete the registered fingerprints using the previous version of fingerprint utility, then you have to contact the Toshiba ASP for assistance!

7. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Beginner
    Hi,
    Sorry if I don´t use right methodology but it is first time that I use a forum to get help.
    I have a Z30 Portege and Fingerprint Utility doesn't detect the Finger sensor. If someone can help me I will appreciate. Thanks for your time, Kind regards,

8. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Beginner
    Hi, finally I have erased the data in the internal memory of the finger sensor. The solution was to uninstall the drivers of the finger sensor and after install the drivers again.

9. Re: Portege Z30-A-183 - Erase Finger data in Finger Sensor
    Master
    Great news sounds good! ;)

Thanks for feedback!