Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Z930 doesn't work - black screen

1. Satellite Z930 doesn't work - black screen
    Beginner
    Recently there has been an issue with my Z930 and I'm not sure if it's a damaged screen or if it's something to do with the software. I'm also using Windows 8 as the operating system.

Earlier today the device was running as normal, but it later began flickering with a mess of pixels everywhere like a glitch, with black lines rising from the bottom of the screen.

A few seconds after that cleared up, the entire screen turned black.
    It is still lit up, but there's only a blank, black screen - I can't even see the cursor.

Every now and then the screen flickers like it's struggling to keep working. I hooked it up to another screen and its typical display showed on the other device, so I'm taking a guess that it's a damaged screen.

Before I start preparing to get a new screen or even a new device, is it possible that it might be something else other than a broken screen?

Because it's odd seeing that I take great care about the screen because it is fragile to begin with, I haven't knocked it or had any fluids on the screen, so having it suddenly break like that is pretty odd.

2. Re: Satellite Z930 doesn't work - black screen
    Master
    Hi

The described symptoms like flickering with a mess of pixels sounds like a graphic card problem.
    Also the fact that the same symptoms are visible on the 2nd external screen, would confirm my assumption that the GPU would be affected.

In case the internal screen would be faulty, the external screen should work properly but this isnít the case.

From my point of few the motherboard together with the GPU has to be replaced in order to fox the issue but of course the whole notebook should be tested by an service engineer before starting to replace any parts.

3. Re: Satellite Z930 doesn't work - black screen
    Beginner
    Thank you for the response, I'll definitely have them check the GPU and motherboard. It certainly does make sense because I was running a game that was causing a lot of heat, which sounds like it could have easily damaged the GPU. I'll still have it tested, but thank you again for your helpful input.

4. Re: Satellite Z930 doesn't work - black screen
    Master
    Thanks for feedback!