Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password

1. Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have a silly problem.
    I've been using my laptop for more than 4 years now and am very pleased with it. It's Qosmio X500.

Now, I was silly enough to use ONLY the TFPU for login and using my laptop for the whole time. I think I've entered my password once and never again. 4 years after, I forgot my password and TFPU is now not responding.

I can't get into my laptop as I forgot my password... And TFPU doesn't work anymore.

Help??? Thanks

2. Re: Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password
    Didnít you register the fingerprint using the Toshiba Finger Print Utility additionally to the TFPU password?

Usually the password must be used in case the fingerprint scan would not work properly and would prevent the notebook user from login.

I donít think that you could delete an unknown password. I guess the sensor must be cleaned and this can be done only by an authorized service provider.

3. Re: Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password
    Beginner
    Hi Joe,

Not really, I can't say I did that. This was back in 2010 and I simply didn't use my password since then but gave way to fingerprint. It worked fine until few weeks back. Even if I did register, I'd forgot how to access it and I can't get through to the system.

Sensor is working fine. It reads fingerprint but then reads (literally): "The password which save by TFPU is invalid, please update it".

From there on, I can't do anything. Went to an authorized service provider, but they just want to delete my C; drive and get away with it.

4. Re: Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password
    As far as I know system recovery will not help you to delete the unknown password.
    I think an special method as well as a tool need to be used to delete the password.

However, there is no other chance to get the access to protected system wihtout an assistance from authorized service provider ... this seems to be your last chance.

Here is also nice short summary about the fingerprint reader functionality:
    http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/386

5. Re: Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password
    Beginner
    Yup, they just want to delete my hard drive and OS completely. Seems to be the easiest way for them to do it. But no one can save my files apparently. Let's see, I'll try to get a hold of some hacker or something. :)

Thanks man, this is helpful. Will be even more helpful once I can actually access it from CP.

Cheers!

6. Re: Qosmio X500 - I forgot my TFPU password
    You're welcome dude