Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40

1. HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Beginner
    I want to purchase Toshiba Tecra Z40-A1402 - 14" - Core i7 4600U
    This item has 128 gb SSD on it. Is it possible to install a regular hdd on this ultrabook?
    Anyone has an idea?

2. Re: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Master
    Hi

Is this the right specification for Tecra you want to buy?
    As I can see it has 500GB SATA HDD inside.

3. Re: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Beginner
    hi, i have a related question so didn't make a new thread...

i have a Z50 with a 256GB mSATA SSD. i would like to upgrade to a 1TB SSHD, however the Toshiba SSHDs are 2.5" SATA drives. can this part fit in my laptop? if i purchase the SSHD, will it come with an appropriate mounting interface for my Tecra Z50, or can i get the appropriate interface from somewhere?

4. Re: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Master
    Some models of the Tecras Z50 series i.e: TECRA Z50-A-16F were equipped with an 2.5 HDD.
    So I guess you should be able to use such 2.5 SSD drive in your Z50 unit

5. Re: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Beginner
    Thanks for your reply, Francesco. I am fairly confident the 2.5" drive will fit in my Z50, but my concern is about the connector cable from HDD to motherboard.

Currently, there is a microSATA connector from the Tecra motherboard to the mSATA SSD. If I buy a SATA SSHD, I will need a SATA to Tecra connector.

The mSATA and SATA interfaces are not the same, and I don't know if the interface at the other end of the cable is unique & specific to Tecras. So, I cannot use the existing cable, and I would like to know where I can get a SATA cable for my Tecra.

If you would like a visual representation of my problem, please follow this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQmxmRCp64#t=400

6. Re: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Master
    > and I would like to know where I can get a SATA cable for my Tecra.
    In internet you will find many dealers who provide mSATA to SATA adapters/cable

The mSATA cable FPC FAMXMS* as well as the HDD cable HD FPC (FAMXHD*) is connected to the CN1920 connector available on the motherboard

You can also try to contact an Toshiba authorized service provider in your country.
    The service provider is able to provide all parts compatible with your notebook.

7. Re: HDD upgrade on Tecra Z40
    Beginner
    Francesco, thank you very much for this detailed response. I truly appreciate your assistance here.