Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite U920T - SD card reader error

1. Satellite U920T - SD card reader error
    Beginner
    Error BSOD Toshiba U920T card reader and Windows 8.1

Whenever I do a Scan, Format, Copy or Delete operation on my internal SDCARD I receive this error.
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or FAT_FILE_SYSTEM,

I have tested everything, all drivers are updated and it happens even with laptop in safe mode.

I even experimented with SDCARD formatted with Fat32, exFat and with NTFS.

This happens with the internal reader, if I use an external SDCARD reader connected to USB, there isn´t any problem, so there is no physical problem with cards.

I use 2 SD, one with 128GB and the other with 32GB.

If 32GB inserted, I do a disk>properties>scan and comes the BSOD saying FAT_FILE_SYSTEM without number

If 128GB inserted, I do a scan and comes the BSOD saying KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED no number

Anyone has any idea or my internal card reader needs to go guarantee?

2. Re: Satellite U920T - SD card reader error
    It looks like the internal SD card reader does not handle the inserted cards properly.
    According to the notebook specifications (user manual) the card reader supports the SD card, SDHC and SDXC cards.

The card reader supports
    SD cards up to 8GB
    SDHC card (4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB)
    SDXC card up to 64GB

3. Re: Satellite U920T - SD card reader error
    Beginner
    There are several U920T Versions available my 100 can handle

(supports SD ™ Card up to 2 GB, miniSD ™ / microSD ™ Card with adapter up to 2 GB, SDHC ™ Card up to 32 GB SDXC ™ Card up to 2 TB)

A known Problem is SD Cards (not SDHC), most of them are still 2GB but there are 4GB available too, 8GB I have never seen.

I am using a 128GB SDXC as a second drive, because internal SSD is 128GB.

4. Re: Satellite U920T - SD card reader error
    Beginner
    I have sent laptop to guarantee, it was an anomaly of the card reader.

I tested my cards on another laptop, same model as mine and the cards worked without problem.