Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive

1. Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Beginner
    My TOSHIBA (ex-laptop) Portege(Z930) board burned out with hot water. I removed the tiny SSD and now need to transfer the data with a USB to another PC.

I borrowed from a friend a SATA to USB adapter with 2 interfaces and even the small connectors for SATA was not small enough for TOSHIBA's SSD. Apparently I need a special SATA to USB adapter which fits to TOSHIBA Portege's mSata.

The reason I wrote here is because there are many SATA USB adapters in internet advertised but it seems they have bigger connectors. So TOSHIBA calls the SSD mSATA labeled on it, but many people call mSATA for one size bigger SSD.

I don't want to order something doesn't fit again. Is there anyone who already removed SSD from Portege?
    Could you provide me a link for such adapter?

2. Re: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Master
    The notebook was equipped with an HM77 Intel Panther Point chip and with the launch of this chip Intel allowed the notebook manufacturers to integrate the mSATA (micro SATA) SSD form factor.

There is also an difference between the mSATA form factors…
    Since the mSATA is limited to four (NAND) chips only, Intel has developed a new standard of mSATA which is called m.2 or mSATA2.

In many cases this is called also NGFF (New Generation Form Factor)
    This m.2 standard is longer and has a lower profile…

I'm not quite sure if this Portege Z930 supports mSATA or mSATA2 but you check the internal SSD drive where this information should be available

3. Re: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Beginner
    so is it impossible to find an adapter for that??

4. Re: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Master
    The question is: what standard does the internal SSD drive use?
    (the info about the interface is mentioned on the SSD drive)

I think it’s a common mSATA and if you would google for “mSATA to USB controller adapter” you would find many offers (ebay, amazon, etc…)…

5. Re: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Beginner
    mSATA cards have a very distinct size and interface shape. Google for "msata ssd picture".

I just ordered an mSATA to 2.5 inch (9mm height) adapter via AliExpress (i.e. from China directly) to be able reuse a Samsung 256 GB SSD ripped out of a Toshiba Z30A in a different (2008 generation) notebook. I expect that after flashing a modded BIOS (to enable SATA II) this ancient laptop will get quite some boost.

Search for "HD2590 mSATA" - this is the cheapest product that I could find (about USD 13.00). "Branded" versions of this are at least available within the EU, for instance through Amazon. Not being in a rush, I just picked the cheapest possible route available (accepting all the shipping delays from Asia).

The 7mm version, by the way, is available as "HD2570 msata".

I have no idea (yet) how well these adapter products perform, so this is not a recommendation, only a pointer.

6. Re: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Beginner
    how can I know how many mm is my mSata?

7. Re: Portege Z930 - need external controller for internal SSD drive
    Beginner
    Your mSATA product is not the challenge - that has one well-defined (maximum) height.

It is the size of the enclosure that matters, because you will want to put the enclosure into something. In my case, I simply picked the size such that it would into an old laptop of mine.

if you do not care about putting the enclosure into anything, simply pick whatever is cheapest. The mSATA product will fit into it.