Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C855D-135 - Corrupt BIOS, black screen, keyboard is not working

1. Satellite C855D-135 - Corrupt BIOS, black screen, keyboard is not working
    Beginner
    Hello everybody.

I have been having some issues with my Toshiba Satellite C855D-135 laptop. I had to change my internal hard drive, so I decided to install windows 7 on it (I used to have windows 8 but don't have the CD and I couldn't find the licence key sticker.),
    So I went into the BIOS to switch it from UEFI to CSM, but something went wrong at that point and it seems to have corrupted the bios.
    I think I have bricked it, but some things still work.

When I turn it on:
    - the screen stays black (Yes, I have tried it on a different screen)
    - the keyboard doesn't seem to be working (the leds don't turn on when I press caps lock)
    - the fan works fine
    - cd reader works fine
    - When I plug in a USB stick, it flashes quickly once, so that seems to be working
    - When I removed the memory bar, the computer did it's series of beeps

- I tried removing the battery, unplugging it and pressing on the power button for ages. (no luck)
    - I have tried removing the CMOS battery to revert the bios to default. (no luck)
    - I tried flashing the bios on a USB stick, until I realised the keyboard wasn't working and that it was all in vain.
    - I tried putting the bios update on a CD, and it spun for a while, but nothing happened in the end. I tried putting these files on the CD:
    - IBIOS.BAT
    - C8610.FD (in the Win8 folder)
    - C610.FD (in the WIN7 folder)
    - I tried renaming C8610.FD to BIOS.FD

I have run out of ideas now.
    Could anybody help me? Pretty please?
    I hope it's not the motherboard that's broken, coz I really don't have enough money to send it off to be repaired.

2. Re: Satellite C855D-135 - Corrupt BIOS, black screen, keyboard is not working
    Beginner
    Ok, so this weekend I tried replacing the memory, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I tried flashing the BIOS from a CD again, coz it appears to try and read CDs when you insert them.
    I tried renaming C8610.FD to C8610.bin and BIOS.bin, but nothing happened.
    I also tried all of the different combinations above, one by one. (Yes, I am a very patient girl! lol)

I was wondering, is there a special way to put things on a CD for it to be bootable?

3. Re: Satellite C855D-135 - Corrupt BIOS, black screen, keyboard is not working
    Master
    The whole story sounds very strange to me… I never heard about that fact that changing the boot mode from UEFI to CSM would affect the BIOS.
    In my opinion there is some serious hardware problem. As you already assumed, it could be probably a motherboard fault.

I would recommend you to ask some technicians for some hardware diagnostic tests to perform an motherboard check in order to be 100% sure about the fault.

If you don’t have enough money and the motherboard is really affected you could try to get some 2nd hand part…