Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade

1. Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi,

i bought the Z40 with a 500 GB HDD. As a replacement i bought the following SSD:

Crucial CT512MX100SSD1 - 500 GB

Unfortunately i didn't get it to work. On the BIOS i can see that the system recognizes the ssd. But neither the restored system boots, nor windows 8.1 Retail installs. Are there any known compatibility issues?

The problems persist whether the bios setting is UEFI oder CSM.

I upgraded to the latest bios version to 3.7, but that didn't change the result.

2. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Master
    If the BIOS recognize the new SSD drive, then the drive should be visible also for the system.
    May I ask you how did you try to install the Windows 8.1 OS?
    What installation media did you use?

The Tecra Z40 does not support internal ODD (optical disk drive). Therefore I’m wondering about the installation procedure

3. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Beginner
    I used an ISO File provided from Microsoft Licensing Portal for Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

This ISO File was then transfered to the USB stick via ISO to USB ([http://www.isotousb.com/]).

The stick boots gets stuck during initialization level.

The same happens if i apply the image of the saved hdd to the ssd.

Toshiba sells z40 configurations with ssd. So the question is what changes to the windows iso were made to perform an installation or did the use customized SSD?

4. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Master
    Generally speaking the secure boot has to be disabled in case you want to boot from external source. The UEFI boot mode can be used because it’s Windows 8.1.

Additionally I recommend you to add the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver to ISO image.
    This driver can be downloaded from Toshiba EU driver page in Tecra z40 series.

5. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Beginner
    Hello there,

I'm interested to know if you found a way to make it work.

In my cas, I intnd to stay on Win 7, so here's what I plan to do :
    1. clone my SSHD to SSD
    2. place the SSD instead of the SSHD into the laptop
    3. boot

Is this supposed to work ?

6. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Master
    *@mll*

Yes, this should work. I did similar job with my old notebook.
    I replaced the HDD with the SSD drive using the software supplied with the SSD drive.

I connected firstly the SSD drive to the USB port (using an external USB enclosure).
    Using the software I was able to clone the partitions table.

Then I had to mark the C partition (on the SSD drive) as an primary and bootable partition.
    This can be made in System Disk management.

7. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Beginner
    Thank you PauPau. I will do this in the near future probably.
    As I can see, the Z40 can bear a SATA as well as a Micro SATA SSD? Which one would you advise me to buy ?

8. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Master
    I don’t have much experience with the micro SATA modules but I upgraded my notebook with a 2.5” SATA SSD drive. The whole upgrade was not very tricky and everything is ok until now...

9. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Beginner
    OK, so I got this SSD drive.

I removed the former SSHD drive from my Tecra, plugged both drives onto my desktop PC's available SATA ports, used Minitool to copy one drive onto the other, checked that I could access the data partition on the SSD, removed both drives from the destop PC, and finally booted the Tecra.

I had the Windows startup sequence (Windows logo on black background), and finally a BSOD with no description but a 0x7B code.

So I rebooted, chose the Windows repair mode, but it finally said it coudn't fix the issue.

Does anyone has any advice ?

10. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Master
    *@mll*

Mostly the BSOD appears because of serious software problem as well as hardware issues.
    But I think in your case the BSOD appears due to different hardware (new SSD drive) and probably the driver which was installed during first system setup isn’t fully compatible with a new SSD drive and therefore BSOD appears.

As I already said above: in my case such partition cloning worked without any serious problems but of course this could not be the case for all notebooks…

The 0x7B error code is described on the Microsoft page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
    The error: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE means that the SSD drive cannot be found.
    Probably due to SATA controller / driver problems…???

Maybe you could start the command prompt CMD repair console (looks like DOS box) and in this box you could use some commands like:
    sfc/scannow
    This repairs missing or corrupted system files

If you want to restore the master boot record, you can simply type:
    bootrec /fixmbr

You can also write a new boot sector onto the system partition with this command:
    bootrec /fixboot

But I think if this will not work, you will need to reinstall the system once again

11. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Beginner
    "But I think if this will not work, you will need to reinstall the system once again".

Well, Paupau that's basically what I did.

The long story :
    I tried to boot with the SSD in a enclosure plugged on an USB port : still got BSODs.

I really didn't want to have to reinstall and parametrize everything : Windows patches, office, various programs, copy my files... But as I was having [bad problems while putting the PC in sleep mode|http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=80456], I finally decided that a factory restore on the SSD might fix everything. Moreover, I had the original SSHD at hand in case it would not work.

So I booted, chose repair mode, thenToshiba's utility to do a factory restore.

Then the installation sequence rolled, with its string of reboots.
    (By the way, one stage even failed, with a Windows crash, that would loop again and again after every reboot. So I finally chose to start in safe mode, and the installation routine could go on... weird.)

Next, I let Windows Update do its job, and installed my apps. Having had a bad experience with the quite old drivers that the Toshiba's Tempro utility advised me to install (see link above), I rather kept away from it, and used Intel's Driver Update Utility wich made me upgrade the wifi and bluetooth drivers. I made system resore points at every stage in case the sleep mode would cause BSODs again. Luckily, this didn't occur.

So here I am, with a much faster Tecra Z40, and no more sleep crashes. It was a chore, but I guess it was worth it.

Thanks for yout help, Paupau. :)

12. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Master
    Great news! Thanks for the feedback mll

13. Re: Tecra Z40 - HDD Upgrade
    Hi,

I bought a Tecra Z40-A and want to replace the hdd by a ssd. I expected just to remove the screws from the bottom to get access to the hdd-slot. But I cannot lift the bottom cover at the rear area
    How did you succeed?