Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R830 - Information request

1. Portege R830 - Information request
    Beginner
    Hello,

i have a Portege R830-10R, does it have SATA III?
    Will I notice a big difference if I decide to change to na SSD and add 4GB memory?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Have fun!

2. Portege R830 - Information request
    Bunzena
    Hi

I have an Portege R830. If you are asking about adding 4GB of RAM - I guess you're running a 64bit version of windows. I'm running a 32 bit version (for software compatibility) - so can't comment on the effectiveness of upgrading the RAM in this specific instance.

However I have installed a Samsung EVO 750 GB SSD.

This - in my view - has made a significant difference. Boot time is halved and in general opening a programme (such as PowerPoint) feels almost instantaneous.

On other PCs I have - the 'adding RAM' trick is something I've done - and it makes a difference. The SSD has been more impressive. I'd do it - but be careful about which SSD you choose. After much research - I'd only look at a Samsung.

Hope this helps.

3. Re: Portege R830 - Information request
    To be honest I don't know which SATA transfer rate is supported but maybe you can check it alone searching for mobile Intel QM67 Express Chipset specification.

Fact is that after upgrade from HDD to SSD and RAM upgrade to maximum (8GB) your notebook will operate much faster and quieter.
    Iíve upgraded 3 machines with SSDs and from my own experience I can say that all notebooks run at least three times faster than before.

4. Re: Portege R830 - Information request
    I can confirm the experience made by Liam and Bunzena; switching to the SSD drive is the best choice you can make and this small upgrade will improve the notebook performance significant.
    I did such upgrade in the past and of course the SSD drives are not cheap parts but I did not regret it.

By the way: you can install some hardware diagnostic tools like Everest Home Edit or another one like SiSoft Sandra. Both will provide you details about the controller and the performance.