Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: CPU upgrade on Tecra R10

1. CPU upgrade on Tecra R10
    Beginner
    I wonder whether anyone might be able to answer a question for me.

I have a nice Tecra R10-11B and it has been very good for quite a few years. It runs Win XP and does everything asked of it without a problem.

What I would like to find out, though, is whether it is possible to fit a quicker CPU. I have a suspicion that the installed cpu may be permanently fixed and is not replaceable but I would like to find out.

I had played with the idea of replacing the Intel P9400 Core Duo with something a bit new, to allow perhaps installing Win 7 and more memory. There is 3gb of ram installed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

parkman

2. Re: CPU upgrade on Tecra R10
    The CPU is socked and this means that the CPU is removable.
    But the important fact is that notebook manufacturers donít support CPU upgrade.
    One of the main reasons is the BIOS which is mostly modified by notebook manufacturers.

But letís start with some basic knowledge:
    The CPU has to be supported by chipset and BIOS.

So letís check what CPU would be supported by Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset which is part of the Tecra R10-11B
    Here on this Intel Ark page you can find compatible CPUs
    http://ark.intel.com/products/35505/Intel-82GS45-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub#@compatibility

But even if the chipset would support new CPU, some compatibility problems may appear because of the BIOS.
    However, the Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs ( Montevina Penryn) were equipped in different R10 models, so probably other Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs would be supported.

By the way: the RAM could be upgraded up to 4GB RAM

3. Re: CPU upgrade on Tecra R10
    Enthusiast
    Hi parkman

As I can see Jacky has already offered pretty detailed answer. I just want to confirm that CPU upgrade is not supported and I think it is not the best idea. Why to make some risk damaging the hardware if you can make perfect upgrade with supported parts like HDD or RAM.

In my opinion you should exchange original HDD with fast SSD and also upgrade RAM to maximum level. Such upgrade is supported and you can do it alone and without any risk for your machine.

I have done the same on my Toshi and Iím really happy with it. Windows starts in 30 seconds only and operations in general are much faster than before.