Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro C70-A-159 boots to (almost) blank screen

1. Satellite Pro C70-A-159 boots to (almost) blank screen
    Beginner
    A non-technical friend has asked me to look at his Toshiba Satellite Pro C70-A-159.

It was a Christmas present and has functioned perfectly for eight months – two days ago (in his words) “it won’t boot”. Actually it does, into a screen with no login but options for shutdown / restart / enable on screen keyboard etc (reading these forums, not an uncommon problem).

Safe mode works fine, even with network. Regressing the last three system restore points (one at a time) makes no difference. CHKDSK (at the DOS prompt) reports no problems. Service Station (in safe mode) won’t start as “it may be corrupt – please re-install or reboot”. I don’t know how to do the former (and am not sure it’s a good idea unless I know it will fix the issue), reboot makes no difference. Booting with logging or debug would maybe be helpful if I knew where it logged to!

I suspect he has upgraded to 8.1 from the Microsoft site, not Toshiba. Before I do a complete backup of data, regress to Windows 8 and follow the (quite complex) instructions for upgrading to 8.1 properly, is there anything else I can try?

2. Re: Satellite Pro C70-A-159 boots to (almost) blank screen
    Hi Adrian

I also think that you should test functionality with original “factory settings”. Talk with your friend and ask him if there are some important data saved on his machine. Make backup and install original recovery image.

Here is short description - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2A03ES0000R01.htm
    What you can also do before you start is to create recovery media, just to be sure you had it if something goes wrong. You can create this media using preinstalled Toshiba recovery media creator.

Reinstall original recovery image and check a bit how it works. Later you can upgrade it to Win8.1.
    Here is Toshiba’s page about steps how to do this - http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/windows8_1-message/

I think your friend will be happy when you do all this and bring him back 100% working machine and Win8.1.

Good luck

3. Re: Satellite Pro C70-A-159 boots to (almost) blank screen
    Beginner
    Many thanks.

I'll give it a go and report back...