Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30

1. Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Beginner
    From what I can tell (and have confirmed with Toshiba Customer support) the Satellite Z30 is identical to the Portege Z30 except for the following differences:

* The Portege Z30 has Active Management Technology (AMT), allowing certain remote administration for enterprise environments
    * The Portege Z30 has a 3 year warranty (as opposed to the Satellite's 1 year)
    * The Portege Z30 is preinstalled with Windows 7 and Windows 7 system restore partitions (and Windows 8.1 media provided) whereas the Satellite comes preinstalled with Windows 8.1 system and restore partitions

My question is whether the roll out of an image taken from a Portege Z30's Windows 7 installation will transfer to Satellite Z30 machines? I suspect there will be no issues with the hardware, but am curious about the Windows activation and whether the SLP key on the Satellites will match the Portege.

2. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Scholar
    I don't have time to check exact difference because these two models because notebooks are country specific products and it can happen that offer in your country is not the same as in some other and you can check this by your local dealer.

Anyway, at first I must say that that Portege notebooks are “business line” products. Satellite models are more for people who don't have some special needs and mostly common notebook users.
    With Portege line Toshiba offers some benefits like better hardware, more options, very often two operating systems, maybe some additional software and of course different warranty conditions.
    According to this Portege notebooks are more expensive.

Back to your question: recovery image is specific image designed for certain notebook model.
    I don't know which Portege do you mean exactly. Toshiba offers Z30-A and Z30T-A. For instance Z30-A is offered as 6 different models. You know it is not easy to say how it will works.

Theoretically you can try to install this image and see what will happen.
    I don't know if you will be so lucky to find someone here who can confirm that such installation will be 100% OK.

3. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Beginner
    Thanks.

I am very sure the hardware is identical. I confirmed this with a Toshiba rep and apart from the AMT feature, the computer models are the same.

But because the Satellite Z30 comes preinstalled only with Windows 8.1, I don't think I can compare system Product IDs to see if Toshiba use the same OEM SLP key across the models.

I guess I could purchase the Satellite Z30, take a complete image of it, then try to roll out the Portege Z30 image onto it and see if the OEM SLP keys properly align. Worst case, I then restore the original image and go from there. However, given that this is an enterprise roll out, it might just be a whole lot easier maintaining the exact same models (i.e. Portege Z30's all throughout) for the sake of a very slight price premium.

4. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Master
    Please be so nice and send some feedback after your “recovery image experiment”.

5. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Beginner
    I just purchased a Satellite Z30 in Switzerland.

Compared to what I see advertised for the *Portege* Z30 on the Internet, my specific SKU does not have
    * a docking station connection
    * the AccuPoint (trackpoint)
    * a WWAN / LTE module
    * a fingerprint scanner
    * the NFC support
    * a smartcard reader

On the software side, the only option is / was Windows 8 (no "Pro").

I would suspect that the lack of the docking station and AccuPoint are Satellite vs Portege while the rest is configuration on the SKU level.

Still, I got the matte IPS full hd display, 8 GB of memory installed, one empty memory slot out of the box, and a perfectly working HDMI output port resolving 2560x1440 @ 60Hz on my external display. Which happens what I really cared about, in addition to all the other goodies of the Z30.

6. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Beginner
    Hello,

I am about to buy the Satellite Z30-A-1D2.

I would like to ask if it is possible to downgrade (by myself) to windows 7 and will it effect my grantee?
    In general, how significant is the difference of the current model from Portege Z30-A models with similar specification, for an engineering graduate student (standard use + some imaging/design/simulation programs).

Thank you,
    Anastasia

7. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Master
    Hi

On Toshiba download page - http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp - you can find your notebook model and it is supported for Win7 64bit.

You can install Win7 and it has nothing to do with warranty. Important is that you make OS back-up and create recovery media before you install own OS version.

8. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Beginner
    Is there any model that has the NFC Modul built in? Haven't found any!
    Or does someone have the sparepart number?

9. Re: Satellite Z30 vs Portege Z30
    Beginner
    I do not have any specifics for your NFC quest - except: If you have the *Satellite* version, you are most likely out of luck.

I just had my Toshiba Satellite Z30A open and the only user-adaptable parts were
    - memory (two slots to play with)
    - SSD
    - wireless module (i.e. WLAN and Bluetooth)

The mainboard of my Toshiba *Satellite* Z30A does not have any additional slots / sockets / user-upgradeable items available. (Fine by me, for what it's worth)