Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery

1. Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery
    Beginner
    Hi all, I have a Satellite A300 that has been giving me problem in the past few weeks...

I am using Windows Vista

about 2 months ago, teh laptop start to have problem, it will restart itself automatically before getting into windows (while in the windows loading screen, no blue screen, screen just turns black suddenly and restarts itself), but it will eventually get into windows successfully after a few loops

but from about 3 weeks ago, it just keeps looping and never get into windows, good news is it can enter safe mode no problem

I did every thing I can to try rescue it, like messing with msconfig, drivers, removing rams etc but no luck

so i back up everything in safe mode and decided to factory restore the machine, but the problem is that when I start the computer pressing 0 and gets into the recovery screen, the restart loop happens again!

any idea? or is there any other way to perform factory restore without touching the windows installed in my laptop? is it a hardware or software issue?

i thought about creating recovery disc but my cd drive is not working properly, and i dont want to risk buying an external cd drive not knowing if the problem can be fixed...

many thanks!

2. Re: Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery
    Master
    >...i dont want to risk buying an external cd drive not knowing if the problem can be fixed...
    Thatís right but you must understand that it is not easy on this virtual way to offer exact explanation and diagnostic to your problem.

It is not easy to say if this is software or hardware related issue. best way to test is recovery image installation. Recovery image is tested and if there is no some hardware problem notebook should run properly. How to install recovery image you can read on http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD1303440001R02.htm

>...or is there any other way to perform factory restore without touching the windows installed in my laptop?
    Something like this is not possible. Windows that you use now must be reinstalled. I don't know why you notebook restarts but this is also risk for recovery image installation. In case that recovery image installation will be interrupted you will have two problems:
    -original recovery image saved on your HDD will be unusable
    -you will not be able to start t again

In your situation best thing is to minimize this risk and have original recovery DVD that can be used if something goes wrong.
    >but the problem is that when I start the computer pressing 0 and gets into the recovery screen, the restart loop happens again!
    Can you please explain what happen exactly? Does notebook simply cut off/go off and then restart again or what?

3. Re: Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery
    Beginner
    thanks for the reply, I will try the recovery image later today

Yes, when i reach the warning screen saying all data will be deleted blah blah blah, then after a few seconds/sometimes a few minutes, the notebook simply cut off/go off and then restart again, no blue screen no error message

4. Re: Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery
    Beginner
    interesting, in the page u provided I just noticed that the recovery process runs in the cmd.exe screen....

Is there a way to start the process by using command prompt? or write a *.bat file for that?
    Since I can get into safe mode and cmd.exe no problem....

Thanks!

5. Re: Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery
    Master
    Starting the recovery process from CMD prompt isnít know to me but you can create own recover USB flash memory stick which could be used for system installation:

Here you will find useful step by step instruction how to create such flash memory stick:
    [How to create a USB recovery media flash drive from recovery ISO images- or discs (DVDs)|http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD4103KB0000R01.htm ]

In case you will not be able to install the system using such media, I would assume that your hardware is affected.
    Also due to the fact that the notebook could run stable only in safe mode, means that an hardware problem could be possible.

6. Re: Satellite A300 cant boot, cant use factory recovery
    *@borist*

Seems you have started new thread about the issue and therefore this thread should be closed to prevent missunderstandings
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums//thread.jspa?threadID=77407