Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Cant use 8GB in Portege R700

1. Cant use 8GB in Portege R700
    Beginner
    Hi,

I had 2x 2GB PC3 10600 ram in my R700 (i3) which is running Windows 7 x64.

I have some 4GB sticks of ram I wanted to upgrade my laptop to 8GB in total.

I put in the memory which consists of:
    1x 4GB PC3 12800
    1x 4GB PC3 10600

The laptop gets to the screen where it says "Starting Windows" and looks like it freezes before the windows animation.

If I try using 1x 4GB (either speeds) and 1x 2GB then Windows boots just fine but there is a problem when I use both the 4GB sticks.

I have tested the ram with Memtest and they pass the tests.

If I put the 4GB sticks of ram in a R840 (Windows 8.1 Pro), this boots fine.
    If I put the 4GB sticks of ram in a R700 (i5 running Windows 8.1 Pro), this also boots fine.

If I try putting in the 2x 4GB sticks of ram in the R700-i3 and attempt to install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 then it gets to the screen which says "Windows is loading files" and the progress bar completes but then the screen just goes blank and the fan spins up but nothing else happens.

I have previously had 8GB ram in the R700-i3 so I know it does support it. The BIOS detects that there is 8GB ram when I have both inserted and the BIOS is updated to the latest version which is 2.20 iirc.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem?

2. Re: Cant use 8GB in Portege R700
    Master
    Hi Borito

If specification says that your notebook model can handle with 8GB RAM than we must not discuss about it.
    By RAM upgrade is important to use 100% compatible and two identical RAM modules (the same specification).
    I have tested it on my machine too using standard and one “cheap” RAM and my machine was death. With two identical RAM modules everything is OK.

Can you please post exact model name of your Portege notebook (R700-xxx) and I will try to find exact part number for 4GB RAM offered for this notebook model.

3. Re: Cant use 8GB in Portege R700
    Beginner
    The two sticks are different brands, which could possibly be the cause?

I have ordered a 4GB identical to one of the ones I already have so when I get that I will post an update as to if this has resolved the problem or not.

4. Re: Cant use 8GB in Portege R700
    > The two sticks are different brands, which could possibly be the cause?
    Test each module in each slot.
    If both (alone) would not cause the issues, then the usage of both together make some troubles. Probably both are not compatible to each other.

I would recommend you to use two exactly the same modules.

5. Re: Cant use 8GB in Portege R700
    Beginner
    Done tests on laptop and memory and as far as I can see everything is fine.

I bought 2x 4GB Crucial memory and that works fine.

I guess this laptop doesnt like ram from different manufacturers even though they are both 4GB sticks.

6. Re: Cant use 8GB in Portege R700
    Master
    > I guess this laptop doesnt like ram from different manufacturers even though they are both 4GB
    The same were problem on my Satellite notebook but using two identical RAM modules from the same manufacturer solved my problem too.

Thanks for your feedback.