Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise

1. My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise
    Beginner
    Hi

I have a new Toshiba Satellite C850 laptop from Argos and itís great apart from the fact that it seems to put out a high pitched nose for good length at a time.
    Itís not feedback noise from mic / speaker. The sound is causing my ears to hurt now even when Iíve turned off laptop.
    My ears keep ringing for days after using laptop.

Anyone have similar probs or solutions ..... cheers !!

2. Re: My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise
    In the past I have used several notebooks including Toshiba notebooks but Iíve never noticed something like this so, for me, it is not easy to understand what happen exactly.
    Can you tell us what could be source for this high pitched noise? Where it comes from?

Problem is that some ďoptionsĒ to fix this are very limited due to fact that probably some hardware component produces this noise.
    I presume your notebook still has valid warranty so maybe you should contact nearest Toshiba service provider and ask for help. They can inspect all this and fix it.

3. Re: My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise
    Beginner
    hi there I think the sound is made from the cooling fan .if I put my hand at the side I can feel the air coming out at the same time is the high pitched noise,would laptop need new fan maybe? thanks

4. Re: My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise
    Master
    Hi

It is possible that small ďbearingĒ is defective and cooling fan must be replaced.
    If you hear it from the moment when you press power button it is really possible that cooling fan is defective. It spins very fast and I can imagine that this produces this annoying high pitched noise.

Has your notebook valid warranty?

5. Re: My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise
    Beginner
    unfortunately my warranty has only just expired in feb2014 and laptop has had this problem since I purchased it ,just took me long to figure what was producing the noise ...how much is a new fan to fit ??

6. Re: My Satellite C850 produces high pitched noise
    > how much is a new fan to fit ??
    I think nobody here can answer this question. You must contact either Toshiba service provider in your country or some independent computer repair shop and ask how much it costs.

Fact is that whole notebook must be disassembled and it should be done by someone who know how it should be done without damaging something.
    To find new cooling fan should not be so problematic. In the past I saw it offered on eBay.
    Generally speaking many notebook parts can be found on eBay.